PDA

View Full Version : 1997 A6 1.8 Thermostat problem?

ChrisUK
06-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Hi,

I'm new on here but here it goes :p :-

The engine never gets up to operating temperature unless stuck in traffic and once moving again the temperature drops back down. I know this is usually caused by a thermostat stuck open what im asking is where about's is it located and how much would it be for a new one?

Thanks

Chris

Niall76
06-11-2007, 11:28 PM
What temperature is it getting to? Bear in mind we are heading into winter now...

lonky
07-11-2007, 01:12 AM
If you have the ADR engine, then the stat is located in the water pump hose on the lower near side of the engine.

mine used to move from about 70 degrees to 90 degrees dependant on traffic.

Fan only came on in traffic in the summer.

ChrisUK
07-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Well it wont move at all even after 30-40mins of driving unless I come to a stop and am stuck in traffic for 10mins and then it will get up to normal temperature I.e about 80 degrees. But then once setting off again even in a 30mph limit the temperature goes back of the bottom of the scale again after a minute :(.

Im not sure what an ADR engine is ?. All I know is its a 1.8 Naturally Aspirated. And If I remember rightly it says V5?:confused: on the plastic engine cover.

Thanks

Chris

golf tdi 02
07-11-2007, 10:31 AM
most prob temp sensor try this first ;);)

ChrisUK
07-11-2007, 10:40 AM
most prob temp sensor try this first ;);)

I did think that but the guage does work (which means the sensor works?) but only in traffic when I assume the engine is getting hot as there is no air flow through the radiator and alowing the engine to warm up. Ill have a look and check the wiring etc anyone know where it is :o?.

Peter D
07-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Sounds like a fialed stat. Relly need the engine code as there are several that cover that date. Look in spare wheel well and read the ID label and post here. Regards Peter

ChrisUK
07-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Sounds like a fialed stat. Relly need the engine code as there are several that cover that date. Look in spare wheel well and read the ID label and post here. Regards Peter

Will do later thanks :approve:.

lonky
07-11-2007, 11:52 PM
I think you will find that your engine is an ADR, but check the sticker in the spare wheel wheel to be sure.
ADR was a 1.8 20v non turbo engine fitted to A6's 1997 - 1998

From your description both the guage and sensor are performing, so I would definatly check the stat. as you will be getting poor MPG is engine is running cold.