PDA

View Full Version : Completed Audi A4 Headlamp Washer leaking. Removal and repair

Stagnite
12-03-2019, 07:32 PM
Hi all,
I need to fix/change the headlamp washer as the present one has developed a leak which I assume is due to the one way valve sticking open. As the washer bottle is higher than the headlamp washer I assume the water will run out if there was no one way valve. I sort of cured it in the summer by adding Viakal into the jet with a syringe, but as its leaking again, I need to remove the unit to clean it properly or to fit a new unit.
I looks like the washer jet unit clicks into a bumper fitting but I cannot see how to unclip it and don't want to break it.
Anyone here any ideas or have a diagram?
TIA
Stagnite

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p621/stagnite/IMG_4846_zpsxhchn7sf.jpg

Crasher
13-03-2019, 09:15 AM
Bumper off, 8K0 955 101 D left and 102 D right, £67.03

Stagnite
14-03-2019, 06:30 PM
Thank you for your reply Crasher. I removed the wing liner when I attempted t fix the water valve. This goes excellent access to the washer jet.
Are you sure its a bumper cover off job? It looks like there is a clip mechanism holding the washer to the bumper but I couldn't fathom out how to release it.

Crasher
14-03-2019, 06:54 PM
As I am at work I could look on elsa, it says you can do it from the grill vent, you open the cover, push down two retaining springs and push it out from behind, the disconnect the hose BUT if this is not possible you have to remove the headlight.

Stagnite
15-03-2019, 12:35 PM
As I am at work I could look on elsa, it says you can do it from the grill vent, you open the cover, push down two retaining springs and push it out from behind, the disconnect the hose BUT if this is not possible you have to remove the headlight.
Splendid news.
What is elsa?
I looked at a photo of one of the headlamp washers on the web as you gave me the part no. The photo, coupled with your advice, sort of explains how its clipped in place. I have googled for ages and not found a description of the removal process so I thank you again. I'll have go at removal at the weekend.

Stagnite
15-03-2019, 12:45 PM
ADMIN
I should have posted this in the B8 section. Can you move it?

Crasher
15-03-2019, 01:01 PM
Done

ELSA is the dealer workshop system

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4852/40420143303_640a5562e9_o.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7827/40420143333_a694f197f5_o.jpg

Stagnite
15-03-2019, 02:55 PM
Thank you so much. All very clear now. Without knowing "the knack" I didn't want to break anything. I can easily remove the wheel arch liner for further access if need be - I have a pack of those awkward little liner clips at the ready.
I'll try and post photos too which may help others. Thanks again, you are a star.

Stagnite
17-03-2019, 03:20 PM
Job done, all sorted with the great help and information provided by Crasher.

I decided to take out the headlamp to give access to the washer jet which turned out to be much simpler and better than removing the road wheel and arch liner as I did before.

A long reach Torx30 screwdriver was needed to loosen the bottom two headlamp fixings and remove the top fixings. Also the lamp wiring plug and vent pipe have to be disconnected before the headlamp unit can be drawn forward and removed.

Next, I held the flap open with a bungee and found two long flat electrical screwdrivers to release the plastic clips that hold the washer in place - indicated in the diagram above. I tried to take. a photo or two but I don't think they would help anyone so haven't posted them.

Next, pull off the washer water pipe and remove the jet.

Heres the interesting thing. With the jet removed, I was able to blow air through the jet in BOTH directions - clearly not good. I took the unit indoors and filled it with Viakal limescale remover and left it for a while. By blocking the jets with one finger I was able to suck a Viakal and water mix into the unit and pump away to free any crud that could be lodged in the unit. This action produced some crud in the water mix and a nice spray up the kitchen window!!

After all this, I was unable to blow through the unit so I reckoned I must have released whatever it was that was holding the one way valve open.

Unit fitted back in car, headlamp re-fitted and another 3 litres of diluted screen wash added.

Time will tel but I am confident that the leak is cured. Hoorah.

Stagnite
17-03-2019, 03:27 PM
Crasher, as an administrator, can you change the heading of this thread to?

Audi A4 Headlamp Washer leaking. Removal and repair.

Reason being that if someone else is searching for a remedy to the same problem, Google will find this page.