PDA

View Full Version : 95 Golf CL 1.6 intermittant startup dying

johnhenson
06-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi,

please please help. This is for my 87 y.o. dad who bought this Golf with his savings and can't afford to pay the useless garage he bought it from to have any more unsuccessful attempts to fix it.

Background...

He uses it maybe twice a week, sometimes less. When not used it is garaged and the floor is level, if that matters.

Sometimes when he goes to start it, it revs up initially for a few seconds and then the revs just drop off and it dies. Sometimes it will start again fine an hour later, sometimes it's days of trying it and leaving it before it decides to play. This happens whether he gives it any gas or not.

Garage have so far:

Cleaned out the "breather" pipe, wherever that is, and
Replaced the fuel filter, although "it actually looked pretty clean", he said.

they stuck it on their computer and it didn't show any faults.

We'd really appreciate any help or suggestions as he really needs his car to be reliable since he can drive fine but can't walk more than about 200 yards and this is making him more or less housebound.

In desperation today he tried for over an hour to start it and eventually flattened his battery...job for me there to charge it up again.

Also the garage said they thought maybe the fuel was draining back into the tank with it being left standing.... doesn't seem right to me somehow, especially when it's parked in a flat garage.

thanks for reading, now please post if you can help at all.

John.

PeteMc
07-11-2007, 08:37 AM
I had a similar sounding problem on my 1.8 '92.
Does he ever get it started?
If so does it run okay?

Mine was a faulty temp sensor, not the fan one but the one that 'informs' the gauge on the dash.
It always read low
Easy to replace and about £6. Since I fitted it I've had no problems and it runs better and uses less fuel.

I'm no mechanic and you might get a better answer.
Where is your dad, incase any forumers might be willing to help?

johnhenson
07-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks for that info I'll certainly bear that in mind in my/our investigations and see if I can figure out where that sensor is on Dad's Golf.

I've never actually heard it running but Dad has been a DIY mechanic for donkey's years and I'm sure he'd have said if it was running rough etc.

As far as I know it's just the initial startup that's the problem. When it does happen it will not start until it's ready, whatever condition that is. If it doesn't happen it just starts normally and runs without problem.

Dad is in Keighley in West Yorks and I'm nearby. he took it back to the garage he bought it at. I kept harping on at him to get it into the VW dealers after their first go at fixing it but for some reason he's reluctant.

radfordlad
03-12-2007, 03:52 PM
I had a similar problem and also got fed up of garage trial and error. Mine turned out to be a faulty reader coil, which seems to be a common fault on many VW's and Audis.

Good luck

johnhenson
03-12-2007, 05:47 PM
is that a part of the key/immobliliser systems? I think he got it fixed by having a new coil reader and key and maybe other immobiliser parts replaced. Cost about £450 including parts and labour.

radfordlad
04-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Your response surprises me as most people I've spoken to who have experienced this problem have sorted it by replacing the reader coil.

Has the immobiliser been tested/isolated?

Can your hear the fuel pump priming when the ignition is turned on?

Do you know if any other sensors have been changed?

Alan