PDA

View Full Version : Replacing sidelight bulb on A6

PapaG
31-08-2006, 02:18 PM
I am trying to replace a sidelight bulb on my A6. I can remove the air ducting & the back of the light unit but cannot get at the back of the sidelight bulb. I believe the Audi workshops remove the entire light unit & whilst I can easily remove the top 2 fixings, there must be more I can't see because the unit is still fast. The bulb only cost 80p from my local car shop so I don't want to spend £20 getting the Audi workshop to fit it.
Any advice appreciated.

A6 Le Mans
03-09-2006, 11:56 PM
Call your local dealer and ask to speak to a mechanic in the shop.

This has happened on my Dad's A4 with both the rear and the front lights and on both occasions I just popped down the local dealer and asked a mechanic where the fixing bolts were to release the unit.

Once you know where to look it's obviously a piece of cake and you'll be able to swap out the bulb in a couple of minutes....assuming you have the right tools.....from memory a socket set with a long extension bar did the trick.

A6 Le Mans:Blush:

Peter D
12-11-2008, 09:41 PM
PM me with your Email address and I'll send you the info, please inclde the model and year. Regards Peter

Peter D
12-11-2008, 09:51 PM
The bulb is changeable through the rear cover when removed. If you want to take the unit out there are three screws, two are obvious the third is down through the access whole in the bonnet recess of the wing. Regards Peter

PapaG
13-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the info PeterD. I'll have another look for the 3rd fixing at the weekend when I have the time and there is some daylight.
Thanks very much.

markaudi_a6_v6
25-04-2009, 06:34 PM
I have a 2004 Audi A6 v6 tdi 2.5

I have tried tugging the sidelights but they are not moving.

Friend told me something about a quarter turn which I have also tried.

My email address is markrunner1978@googlemail.com.

Thanks

Swissmaxie
06-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Have just changed mine. 2002 A6 2500tdi V6.

Un clip the back cover, locate the side light holder and pull. it is a simple pull push holder that clips into the housing. You need small hands to do it and be prepared for a certain amount of pain.

You do not have to remove the headlight assembly.:beerchug:

Or go to Halfords and they will do it for a £5er:mad:

Hope this helps

NickPicks
07-05-2010, 10:17 AM
I've done mine a few times. You definitely don't need to remove the headlight unit. Just pull the sidelamp bulb holder and it pops out.

It's a bit tight to get your hand in, and there's a few things to scratch yourself on, but I found it easy enough.

I also find it helps to look throught the headlamp lens when doing it to help guide your fingers to the right place (even though you can't see them, you can see the bulb you're feeling for the bacl of, and hand-eye coordination helps here)

355marcus
08-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Remove the headlight???????? :buttkick:

Oh my sides!!!!!

I only hope you dont realise how much suffering you almost caused the poor guy!!!
It will take less than 1 minute a side, the plastic holder sticks in the lens a little bit but a gentle twist will free it and then it will just pull out.
If you're near northampton let me know, otherwise just point it at a Halfords if you dont want to get your hands dirty again!!

Take the light out??? :aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4: