PDA

View Full Version : Speed cameras on Discover Media 2015

mazerati
02-03-2019, 03:41 PM
Hi Guys,

I have been trying to get speed cameras on my wifes Discover Media 2015,
The book says Personal POI's can be imported via the " Volkswagen NAV Companion " website
but searches for this have drawn a blank, so I asume it no longer exists.
I have used Pocketgps website to source the speed camera info and with the help of guy's on here had little trouble getting these on my Audi Q7.
I have tried using various programs but they all seem to be related to the Discover Pro
and these file formats do not seem to work on the Discover Media.
Has anybody succeded in doing this ?
If so can you help me to proceed please?
Does anybody know if VW have a replacement site for the NAV Companion ?

Thanks

mazerati
07-03-2019, 09:30 PM
Update,

Someone on the MyTiguan forum showed me how to do this,
you need to log on to your VW Car-Net account to add poi's to your car.
Problem is They want £70 per year for Car-Net service. Plus £20 a year for
the PocketGPS subscription. This is rather expensive so will have to give it a miss
for now. Untill someone comes up with an alternative method.

technodevotee
22-03-2019, 07:13 PM
I've been looking into this as well.

I don't know how much progress you've made on this but I gave up trying to find an alternative to uploading POIs without using Car-Net and signed up for it. I also got a CarStick and data sim because I got fed up with having to enable the hotspot on my phone every time I went anywhere.

As you say, it is all rather expensive with the £70 for a year or 120 for 2 years, the car stick and data sim but the sat-nav is so much better now and I'm glad I got it working because its almost as good as the TomTom Go 5200/6200s I just sold.

Its really easy to upload POI's downloaded from pocketgpsworld to the Car-Net website and import them into the Discover Media system.

To achieve the same thing without car-net, you have to create a SQL database to store the POIs in and write everything to an SD card in a complicated file structure using a piece of software such as poi inspector. The software works but it is limited to 50 POIs per category unless you make a donation.

It is also quite picky about file formats as the data and icon files have to be a different format to the ones used in Car-Net.

technodevotee
22-03-2019, 07:45 PM
The other thing I forgot to mention about loading the POIs from an SD card using the menus on the unit is that it seems to overwrite the existing POIs.