PDA

View Full Version : Demist button default setting.

Stagnite
01-03-2019, 10:32 AM
Good morning fellow A4 owners/fans.

I have a 2014 A4 AWD S Line 2 litre diesel Avant with 46k miles on the clock. I have owned it since it was 9 months old and it has been brilliant.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p621/stagnite/IMG_4846_zpsxhchn7sf.jpg (http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/stagnite/media/IMG_4846_zpsxhchn7sf.jpg.html)

All was well until an Audi recall for the auxiliary heater element to be changed, after which, unless I am going mad, the default setting for the front demist button seems to have changed.

Prior to recall: Demist button sent all the air to the screen and set the fan to speed 11 or 12, not certain.
After recall: Demist button sets fan to 11 and sends air to floor, face and screen vents. If I manually set the fan to speed 12 and send all the air to the screen and then hit the demist button, the fan speed drops to 5 and all vents open. Most odd.

Audi Hatfield have had the car back twice and tell me that there is nothing wrong with the demist settings. They let me see another A4 of the same year which has had the recall work done which behaves the same as mine now does.

Anyone else had this happen?

Surely, if I am driving along and the screen fogs, I should just be able to hit the demist button for instant demisting and not have to bother to set it manually. Something is not right here.

Also, does anyone have an official Audi service sheet for this model?
I have conflicting advice as when to change the auxiliary belt and the cam belt.

Thanks in advance.

Gunnark100
01-03-2019, 10:47 AM
My reply will not help you, but my old b8 demist button works as yours before update.

Boy
05-03-2019, 10:56 PM
You have a lovely car there! I shall check my 2013 Black Edition which had the auxiliary heater recall done last Autumn and see what that button now does.
As to the cam belt question, everyone has his own opinion but I tend to think that seven years or 70000 miles is a safe. I don't know what the official advice is for your model year.

Gunnark100
06-03-2019, 08:43 AM
Prior to recall: Demist button sent all the air to the screen and set the fan to speed 11 or 12, not certain.
After recall: Demist button sets fan to 11 and sends air to floor, face and screen vents. If I manually set the fan to speed 12 and send all the air to the screen and then hit the demist button, the fan speed drops to 5 and all vents open. Most odd.
Thanks in advance.

Just let your dealer to contact Germany(they should in cases like this, instead of pointless explanation how this is normal). Is this sw bug or adaption twist, i dont know, in German and in other forums you can find adaption maps and compare with yours, if you have vcds.

From manual regarding this button:
The temperature is regulated automatically. The air output is
increased to maximum and most of the air comes out of the outlets
below the windscreen.
The air recirculation mode is switched off when the button is
pressed.

Boy
06-03-2019, 10:28 PM
I checked my 2013 Black Edition which had the recall work done during the Autumn. It appeared to be on Fan 11 and otherwise auto settings when front demist was pressed. I think I shall contact Audi and ask for an explanation too. I'll check the 2011 Quattro which has also had the Aux Heater recall work done, tomorrow.

Stagnite
12-03-2019, 07:19 PM
Thanks for your reply Boy.
When you say it is on auto settings, can you feel air blowing out of the face vents and foot well vents too?
The handbook clearly says that when the demist button is selected, MOST of the air is directed to the screen - which is not the case with mine, any more!
I have reported this to Audi CS dept and await a reply. My local dealer has been hopeless. I am not expecting much from CS either.

Boy
12-03-2019, 09:51 PM
I relied mainly on the display which showed that the air distribution was as per auto, but also, it was clear that there was a lesser air flow to the screen than I had expected.
i’m afraid that I have not yet checked the 2010 Quattro yet but will do so.

Stagnite
15-03-2019, 12:40 PM
I relied mainly on the display which showed that the air distribution was as per auto, but also, it was clear that there was a lesser air flow to the screen than I had expected.
i’m afraid that I have not yet checked the 2010 Quattro yet but will do so.

Strange isn't it? Before the recall, one press of the button sent almost all of the air to the demist vents.

I have written to Audi Customer Services about this but no reply despite an acknowledgement email saying they aim to reply in 2 days - that was 4 days ago now!

Gunnark100
15-03-2019, 01:02 PM
All you can do now is hope and wait, but it is hard to believe they will prepare fix for that. As per unofficial rumor part of sw update was also to reduce power consumption of climatronic, this explains maybe setting 12 was reduced to 11, but as this is also defrost, not only demist, rest behavior you explained in post1 is bs.

Boy
16-03-2019, 11:06 PM
I have also checked my 2010 Quattro and it behaves in the same way, so I believe that the recall work has changed the settings which will make the defrost function less effective. That seems like a poor outcome. i look forward to hearing what response you get from Audi.

Stagnite
19-03-2019, 09:51 AM
I have also checked my 2010 Quattro and it behaves in the same way, so I believe that the recall work has changed the settings which will make the defrost function less effective. That seems like a poor outcome. i look forward to hearing what response you get from Audi.

Reply 15th March 2019. Nothing since.

Thank you for your recent email on the demisting issue you are experiencing on your Audi A4.

I have forwarded your email to a case manager to investigate further on your behalf and they will contact you in 48 hours to discuss this in further detail.

I hope there is a resolution at the end of the investigation.

Thank you for contacting Audi UK.

Kind regards

Paul Thompson
Customer Relations Advisor

Audi UK

Tel 0800 699 888
Email customer.services@audi.co.uk

Stagnite
01-04-2019, 07:32 PM
Update.
Eventually, after much chasing, I have entered into conversation with the CS dept.
They contacted Hatfield Audi and managed to get them to call me, however, the outcome of the call was that either
I have imagined the default settings have changed or
the handbook is wrong!!!

Basically, they just want shot of me and the problem and are not interested in perusing it.

I have now asked CS to ask its technical dept to answer basic questions:

Hi Mijan,

Audi A4 Avant. S Line.
VRM KX64 MJY
VIN WAUZZ???????

Further to our telephone conversation today, please forward this e-mail to your technical department to answer the following 3 questions.

Air conditioning and heater Demist button.

1. What are the heater, fan speed and vent aperture selection de-fault settings for the demist button?

2. Will these defaults override manually selected settings?

3. If I manually select fan speed 12 and just the screen vents, and then press the demist button, what should happen?

Thank you.

I await a reply.

Stagnite
02-04-2019, 04:32 PM
I received a telephone call today from Customer Services. Mijan (who doesn't sound technical at all) told me that he had spoken to the technical department who told him that the answer was that the demister button controls the vent selection!!!!! How unhelpful was that?
I asked for that reply to be put in an email but was denied and told that Customer Services were unable to help any further, contact the ombudsman if I am still unhappy!!!!!

3 questions, thats all. There is no e-mail address or phone no for the technical department here or in Germany but I could try another Dealer!!!!!!
Makes me mad!

Gunnark100
03-04-2019, 10:38 AM
I received a telephone call today from Customer Services. Mijan (who doesn't sound technical at all) told me that he had spoken to the technical department who told him that the answer was that the demister button controls the vent selection!!!!! How unhelpful was that?
I asked for that reply to be put in an email but was denied and told that Customer Services were unable to help any further, contact the ombudsman if I am still unhappy!!!!!

3 questions, thats all. There is no e-mail address or phone no for the technical department here or in Germany but I could try another Dealer!!!!!!
Makes me mad!

As you are probably one of few people(i do not use this button almost never) who have been noticed this after recall, no chance that this will be fixed etc, but "handbook not correct" this is just a pure joke":). So, you probably must live with it or let someone flash hvac, but at your own risk. If you have vcds, make a adaption map, i will take a look, but could be already sw thing(cant see in adaption map difference etc).

Stagnite
28-05-2019, 02:43 PM
OK, I give up! Totally lost confidence in Audi. Maybe I will start to get irritated again in the winter when the demist button is needed.
Poor show Audi Hatfield and Audi UK.