PDA

View Full Version : Emissions Woes (MOT)

kylelnsn
21-02-2019, 10:31 PM
Hi All,

So I'd like to pick your brains... BKD engine, 108,000 miles and generally a fantastically reliable car no real issues. The only thing we have seen and this is very rarely but on these rare occasions if you boot it you get a little kick of smoke. Today it went in for MOT and failed, only on emissions..... We discussed at length the change in law and testing, and what a shame it is that this car, which is perfect in every other way has failed on emissions only. 1.25 opacity mean average.

I am at a little bit of a loss as what the best thing to do next is....

The current plan is to strip the inlet manifold, EGR valve and throttle body. Fully decoke, clean and refresh. Full service (which is just due), new fuel filter (as we have never changed this since we have owned the car) a tank of diesel injector and system cleaner and try another test.

I removed the fuel filter this evening, and there was slight black tint to the fuel in the housing, but mostly it looked like small black particulate. I am guessing that the filter has never been changed, so thats done. Would this be enough to give bad emissions (I suspect not). Would there be benefit to fitting new seals on the injectors or having them overhauled? and a new seal kit for the tandem pump whilst we are overhauling the system. Or am I barking up the wrong tree? I would love to get another 100k+ from this car if possible...

Gazwould
22-02-2019, 02:57 AM
What is the smoke opacity pass figure ?

Thermostat , 2 Stroke oil...

kylelnsn
22-02-2019, 08:44 AM
Pass is 1.0

Never changed the thermostat, seems to be fine and inline with the other BKD we have.

Oil is always Castrol Professional 5W30 Fully Synthetic...

Gazwould
22-02-2019, 12:53 PM
Not far off then , is it quick for coolant to get to temperature , JASO FB low ash mineral 2 Stroke halved my mean smoke opacity .

Do an Italian tune up also .

philipharmes
23-02-2019, 01:25 PM
I quite agree with Gazwould, doubt there is much wrong with your engine.

The exhaust system can hold on to a lot of particulate matter, especially during town driving.
Then gets shot out of the exhaust when the tester gives it maximum revs during the smoke test which will give you a bad reading.

A good few maximum accelerations immediately before the next test should sort it.
Just give it a few good hoofs from 2k - 4k revs, when you don't see any more clouds of soot in your mirror it will be sorted.
Then straight to the test.

Gazwould
23-02-2019, 09:04 PM
This is it , even a dpf equipped car can blow 2.00 on the first acceleration .

Crasher
23-02-2019, 09:10 PM
I quite agree with Gazwould, doubt there is much wrong with your engine

Thats where you are both wrong, it runs on the fuel of the Devil so it definitely has something wrong.....:outtahere

Gazwould
23-02-2019, 10:29 PM
What's so bad about it ?

Good fuel economy thus efficient and tons of low down torque.

Crasher
23-02-2019, 11:21 PM
And kills hundreds of thousands of people worldwide per annum but hey, your pocket is more important than a few wheezy deaths of people you don’t know......

Gazwould
23-02-2019, 11:54 PM
You know what Stevie , it's called 'propaganda' so caught out now to get us into petrol cars that require more refilling to raise tax revenue especially as derv are low CO2 VED too .

https://i.imgur.com/Ve61h7Gr.jpg

Latest diesel cars emit almost no NOx according to new research | 1 | Auto Express (https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/106070/latest-diesel-cars-emit-almost-no-nox-according-to-new-research?amp=)

https://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?attachments/2019-02-04-13-23-20-png.48012/

https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/attachments/2019-02-15-20-36-34-jpg.83585/

Think I'll keep the 430 lbft and 60+ smiles per gallon .

Crasher
24-02-2019, 12:03 AM
Actually the powers that be have found wood burning fuels to be more hazardous to life and the little silver cans of N2O young tings stick up their faces come a Saturday night produce a gas circa 300 times more damaging than CO2 over the 100 years it takes N2O to degrade, Cobalt is one of the worst alergens there is, Lithium is a mind altereting drug that lays waste to entire regions and rare earth metal mining, e.g (Neodymium for electric motors) is THE most environmentally damaging process there is, but it all gets buried due to political expediency and “carring” about the pocket of the avaergae person, it’s all ********!

Gazwould
24-02-2019, 12:07 AM
Absolutely , then they'll tax electric cars for toxic battery disposal .

techaddict
24-02-2019, 12:11 AM
Before you go to those extremes, how about a cheaper mobile carbon cleaning option to get you under the 1.0 limit to pass your MOT?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Crasher
24-02-2019, 12:18 AM
Absolutely , then they'll tax electric cars for toxic battery disposal .

ohh yes, coming to a fly tipping site near you in around a decade, good story for the next pretty young reporter to work for the local news channel though, next thing is she will be on News at Ten,,,,,, Kyle....

Gazwould
24-02-2019, 12:23 AM
I don't know how they saw the VIN stickers manufacturers smoke coefficient value anyway on an 8P .

https://i.imgur.com/h7kjXo3r.jpg?1

LittleAl
24-02-2019, 07:07 PM
I have the same issue every year on my BKP, I've found the most important thing to be engine temperature when the emissions are done. I do a few Italian tune ups in the week prior to the test and when going for the test I do a long run of at least 45mins to an hour and then straight to the test. I also have my EGR blanked off with a simple aluminium plate with a small hole in it to prevent a CEL.

Crasher
24-02-2019, 07:50 PM
I also have my EGR blanked off with a simple aluminium plate with a small hole in it to prevent a CEL.

That is illegal, it raises combustion temperatures and causes an increase in NOX :buttkick:

Gazwould
25-02-2019, 12:34 AM
I'd like to know the real world difference , probably not alot .

Putting an engines excrement back into itself should be made illegal , one negative to several positives , SCR a much better way .

kylelnsn
25-02-2019, 12:42 AM
Before you go to those extremes, how about a cheaper mobile carbon cleaning option to get you under the 1.0 limit to pass your MOT?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well the MOT station was offering this at £115, which didn't seem that cheap to me :/ But certainly an option thats on the table.

I don't know how they saw the VIN stickers manufacturers smoke coefficient value anyway on an 8P .

https://i.imgur.com/h7kjXo3r.jpg?1

Yeah 100% took me while to find it and check... raises another query in that I believe the BKD engine in my Golf is 0.70.... for the same engine..................

I have the same issue every year on my BKP, I've found the most important thing to be engine temperature when the emissions are done. I do a few Italian tune ups in the week prior to the test and when going for the test I do a long run of at least 45mins to an hour and then straight to the test. I also have my EGR blanked off with a simple aluminium plate with a small hole in it to prevent a CEL.

I will certainly ask them to ensure its up to temperature, hopefully this will all add up.

So far I have;
- Stripped inlet manifold and deep cleaned
- Cleaned through all boost pipes
- Cleaned EGR Valve and Throttle Body
- Chucked in some Diesel System Cleaner
- Full service, all filters and fresh oil

Going to get it booked back in early this week and see how we go... keeping everything crossed now.

Gazwould
25-02-2019, 06:04 AM
Flawed system , a Euro 3 , 2003 AVF is 0.60 and a Euro 4 up to 2009 Ford 1.8 tdci is a generous 1.75 so then tested at 1.50 default.

kylelnsn
25-02-2019, 05:25 PM
Back in, and its gone up :1zhelp: LOL!

1.34 mean average...... a little bit lost now......

Garage is suggesting their cleaning system, or injectors out and away for testing....... :/

Crasher
25-02-2019, 06:33 PM
We could do with establishing your VIN, as I noticed the car is 2004, if it is very early there may be a problem

kylelnsn
25-02-2019, 07:37 PM
Pm'd :)

kylelnsn
25-02-2019, 08:54 PM
Had a quick look through previous test results, last year 1.98, other years all the way up to 2.60+ and as low as 0.98

Crasher
25-02-2019, 10:12 PM
I would not place too much emphasis on that, a few times I have had problems that turned out to be a dirty filter in the test machine.

Anyway, 01-10-04 build so too late to be the issue I expected.

It is an almost impossible way ahead and is probably planned by the powers that oversee us but all you can do is change the injectors for perfect and known to be perfect units so genuine VAG at £650.65...... each or maybe a little less from Bosch, without knowing the injectors are perfect you are ******* in the wind. This sort of problem will see all such cars scrapped in the next few years.

Gazwould
26-02-2019, 08:31 AM
"Had a quick look through previous test results, last year 1.98, other years all the way up to 2.60+ and as low as 0.98."

Similar to mine , was 2.00 for years , then started using 2 Stroke occasionally , 1.50 , full time use , 1.00 , new thermostat 0.52 and now a 0.34 fast pass :biglaugh:

kylelnsn
26-02-2019, 09:01 AM
"Had a quick look through previous test results, last year 1.98, other years all the way up to 2.60+ and as low as 0.98."

Similar to mine , was 2.00 for years , then started using 2 Stroke occasionally , 1.50 , full time use , 1.00 , new thermostat 0.52 and now a 0.34 fast pass :biglaugh:

Are you running 2 stroke oil with fuel? what mix? Which oil are you using?

Gazwould
26-02-2019, 09:31 AM
It works .

JASO FB spec .

Keeping our Passats running smooth.. - UKPassats (http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=58952)

kylelnsn
26-02-2019, 09:44 AM
Would it be okay to do on the BKD?

Gazwould
26-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Any derv , you notice most in terms of less derv 4 pot high compression vibration with the older cars without balancer shafts .