PDA

View Full Version : A4 2.0 TDI SE Tyre wear

marcus
06-11-2007, 11:18 AM
I have had my A4 from new and have just had 2 new tyrse on the front having done 13K, i have heard from various sources that tyre wear on the A4 is commen and was interested to hear if any one else has had the same problem. My front passenger tyre was completly bald on the outside edge and in general this tyre was more worn than the driver side which probably was still good for another 3000 miles. The guys that replaced the tyres said that they had had another new A4 in which had a similar problem but only after around 8000 miles and one of the front tryes was worn down to the wire on the inside edge, they checked the tracking for me and confirmed it was out and suggested that rather than them re set it i should take it back to Audi.

Has any one else experianced this problem and if so what steps if any have you taken.

All the Best

Mark:confused:

GH20TDI
06-11-2007, 03:15 PM
See this thread:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8388

It is a problem I had and there appears not to be any clear advice other than to check your tracking often.

I have got Dunlop Sport 01As on the front now, and (subjectively) they appear better, although I need to get the tracking checked again.

I haven't heard of inside wear before, and have seen other A4 B5s with significant outside wear but not inside wear.

Audi Wimbledon offered to do the tracking on my car for £160 :zx11: - told them to f.r.o. and got it done by local garage for £30.

I suspect it is a design issue, as I have never known another car where very slight misalignment causes such severe wear.

Interested to hear your comments.

P.S. Rick T was right - they are 16" wheels (just look smaller!!)

Discretion
06-11-2007, 08:23 PM
I would take it back to the dealers...get them to do a full steering geometry check It may be that the caster or camber is incorrectly set.....I have a Vauxhall Signum and had to replace the tyres after 12,000 mile but they were very evenly worn right across the tread.

andywell
09-11-2007, 03:53 PM
I have the same model of car as you and it's done just over 13000 miles. My front tyres are fine, still about 4mm of tread left on them. I've also not experienced any sign of uneven tyre wear. Maybe accelerated tyre wear could be down to driving style?

marcus
09-11-2007, 05:01 PM
It could well be driving style as i hve been playing a little since i had the re-map done, but as i originaly said the drivers side tyre was stiil good for a few more thousand miles. I did think it may be due to cornering but in all honesty we dont have too many roundabouts round here and generally i keep my speeding to straight roads, as the country lanes are too narrow and populated areas to dense!!
I will try and get time to put it into the main dealers and let you know what they have to say!!

Thanks

Mark

John140
12-01-2008, 09:45 PM
My new 2.0 TDi Avant has done 12.5K and the fronts look as though they have about 1K left in them. There is no strange wear patterns to suggest tracking problems etc, they are just worn. I had a B6 A4 Avant before with smaller slightly narrower tyres and they used to last about 17K but this car is chomping the even wider tyres at an alarming rate. It is just a characteristic of that heavy old diesel lump up-front, as the rear tyres last 35-40K if left in place.

Tezza1976
20-05-2009, 10:06 PM
I have also had this problem, 2008 2.0 Tdi S-line convertible, it runs on 235/40/18 continental tyres, the car has just reached 9000 mile and the front tyres have just about gone, I can't say that its down to driving style as the car has never been thrashed and only really makes small journeys apart from the once when it done around trip of about 700 miles. I am suprised that it is common and can only obviously think that it must be down to car design, as I've never had to replace tyre at such a short interval. The action I am going to take is contact Audi first to see what they think and see what happens from there.