PDA

View Full Version : New shocks / springs

msond
18-11-2004, 09:33 PM
I am thinking about changing the shocks and possibly the springs on my Audi 80 2.0 Sport (94/M).

The car has done 105000 miles now and could do with a change.

Would it be better to stick with OE or try some uprated stuff? Any recommendations on uprated equipment.

Should I chagne the springs as well as the shocks?

Thanks

Mohan

stuart
18-11-2004, 10:17 PM
I am thinking about changing the shocks and possibly the springs on my Audi 80 2.0 Sport (94/M).

The car has done 105000 miles now and could do with a change.

Would it be better to stick with OE or try some uprated stuff? Any recommendations on uprated equipment.

Should I chagne the springs as well as the shocks?

Thanks

Mohan
Hi

If your car is a "sport" model, you may find that the standard springs and shocks are "sports" type anyway, so I would just go for what is on there now.

If you are having no problems, 105K is nothing to worry about, if you have no knocking or bouncing or leaks from shock, and the car still handles OK, I would save your money, and leave alone for now, there is an old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!:D

Cheers

Stuart

msond
19-11-2004, 07:51 PM
The ride is quite soft even though it is a sport model.

I'll leave it for now probably.

Thanks

Mohan

msond
23-02-2005, 08:10 PM
I have had new tyres and changed a front wishbone which has helped with the handling of the car.

stuart
23-02-2005, 08:25 PM
I have had new tyres and changed a front wishbone which has helped with the handling of the car.

By changing the wishbones, I would expect that these came with new bushes and ball joints, so this would help to improve the handling. If theses were worn, they would cause a problem.

Stuart

Ian W
08-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Just a quick reply to an old thread here.

I also have a 95/M 80 Sport which has a knocking coming from the front suspension (i think).

My mechanic has said that all bushes he could inspect look absolutely fine, which leads me to believe that it's likely to be the top mount bush? The ride is also a little too bouncy for my liking so am considering fitting new shocks and top mount bushes on the front.

Question is, do I need specific shocks for the front being the 'sport' model and if so where to get them at the best price?

thanks in advance

Ian