PDA

View Full Version : Question Newbie help Coolant Temp Gauge

NZAudiA4
13-01-2019, 09:44 AM
So I just bought a 1999 A4 2.4 V6 Avant as a cheap runaround and love it but it has a very frustrating problem or two.

Temp gauge not working - Yes..... I have already spent time reading all the other threads on this and not found an answer.

Gauge is totally dead, not a flicker of life at any point no matter how hot or cold
All other gauges and functions work properly
I changed the Coolant Temp Sensor at the back near firewall (no change at all)
Tested the fuses - all good
Engine is definitely getting warm (although not HOT)
Oil temp gauge works but only sits at 60 -70 degrees.
I tested the 4 connections coming off the plug and all have continuity

The car runs ok for mileage 150,000 miles. ticks over and runs a little rough when hot but great when cold

Im all out of options.....? searched the forums cannot find any other fix. I am starting to think the new switch may also be faulty, do you think this is likely?

The switch I bought was from an auto spares shop not the main dealer and was half the price.

Any help very much appreciated.

daggz68
29-03-2020, 09:57 PM
So I just bought a 1999 A4 2.4 V6 Avant as a cheap runaround and love it but it has a very frustrating problem or two.

Temp gauge not working - Yes..... I have already spent time reading all the other threads on this and not found an answer.

Gauge is totally dead, not a flicker of life at any point no matter how hot or cold
All other gauges and functions work properly
I changed the Coolant Temp Sensor at the back near firewall (no change at all)
Tested the fuses - all good
Engine is definitely getting warm (although not HOT)
Oil temp gauge works but only sits at 60 -70 degrees.
I tested the 4 connections coming off the plug and all have continuity

The car runs ok for mileage 150,000 miles. ticks over and runs a little rough when hot but great when cold

Im all out of options.....? searched the forums cannot find any other fix. I am starting to think the new switch may also be faulty, do you think this is likely?

The switch I bought was from an auto spares shop not the main dealer and was half the price.

Any help very much appreciated.I've the opposite. Oil temp guage doesn't move. The water one does but takes ages. The air out of the heaters doesn't really get hot either

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk