PDA

View Full Version : Running in

Discretion
05-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi Guys,
Only a few weeks left and she will be here, i would like to make sure i am fully prepared. what are your thoughts/ideas on running my new A4 in? This is my First Audi and also my first brand new car.....i need to get this right!!

Thanks in advance

RickT
05-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Welcome to the forum,

Congrat's on the new purchase!

First of all, have a read of this thread on the forum.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=89036

This subject brings out many opinions in people regarding the correct way..

Below is a bit of text i have found around the web...

From my point of view, drive it easy for the first 500 miles, ensure you vary the rev to ensure the pistons all wear at the same rate and ENSURE you are upto 90'c engine temp before giving it that extra bit of power!

The first 1000 miles at set revs I would personally say related to older cars with less accurate egineering tolerances. That's not to say new cars don't need bedding in a little. It is critical to bed the pistons in the first few hundred miles, drive too slow i.e. lows revs, and the barrels/rings will glaze. This will cause blow by and oil consumption. Pretty much the first few hundred miles of running is the important bit setting the engine for life. I know it goes again't what manufacturers say but according to some of them a modern car needs the same running in as a mini did 20 years ago. Should be getting my new car in about a month, I will be warming up the engine and driving the car normal with occasional load/high rpm and increasing load after a few hundred miles.

Rick

Discretion
08-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks Rick...some good reading....will now wait and see what the dealer says about it..

Discretion

RickT
11-11-2007, 02:20 AM
no worries.

Rick