PDA

View Full Version : Car self locking !

claranet
05-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi,

I have a problem with my wife's B5 S TDi(100)Estate.

The problem is that you unlock the car with the remote as normal then you get in the car and if you don't start the car pronto, then it locks itself and the alarm will often go off as well.

The problem is that it is not recognising the fact that the driver's door has been opened and shut. It is normal for the door/alarm to return to the locked state if you don't open the door.

The Dealer says it needs a new lock assembly which is - wait for it £300 :mad:

It is something that we can live with but I wonder if any of you have had this problem and found a cheaper alternative to fixing it !:1zhelp:

Regards
claranet

Col
05-11-2007, 11:13 PM
A common problem.

There is a micro switch in the lock mechanism that gets gunked up if the servicing garage is over zealous with the white grease come service time. Over time this will attract grit / fluff / scutt.

I have read elsewhere that it is possible to clean this but it involves removing the lock from the door and dismantling it. Saying that, I can't see any harm in spraying loads and loads of brake cleaner in there to see if that helps.

Other than that, it would mean a new lock.

Rampage
06-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Not sure if this will solve the issue, but you can buy a de-lock "kit" comprising a dummy lock barrel, metal disc and replacement handle cover for less than £7.You would need to have the cover painted... unless you have non painted handles.

Even so total would be way way less than £300 and has the added advantage of removing the vulnerability of the screwdriver in the lock syndrome Passats are well known to suffer from.

Removing the door handle looks very straight forward.

cheers
-Steve

bora(ing) nick
06-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Not sure if this will solve the issue, but you can buy a de-lock "kit" comprising a dummy lock barrel, metal disc and replacement handle cover for less than £7.You would need to have the cover painted... unless you have non painted handles.

Even so total would be way way less than £300 and has the added advantage of removing the vulnerability of the screwdriver in the lock syndrome Passats are well known to suffer from.

Removing the door handle looks very straight forward.

cheers
-Steve

The de-lock kit wont help i'm afraid.

I've seen a thread somewhere that shows 6 soldered joints inside the lock mechanism.. and commonly 2 of the 6 fail (dry joints). I'll have a look ...........:outtahere

Nick

69rodders
06-11-2007, 11:21 AM
I too have the same issue, and have found this http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/doorlockmechanism/ which details how to dismantle everything.

It does not look too complex a job, but it is one I keep putting off. I guess when I leave the lights on and run the battery down I will do something about it!

In the meantime I will try giving the lock a liberal spray of brake cleaner and if it works I'll let you know.

Rodders

wicklah
06-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Hi,

I have done this on my rear nearside door. Couple of hours is all it would have taken if I hadn't of missed one step in the taligentx how-to (step 16), so it took a further couple of hours to reseat that bit :o.

Bit of patience and a nice quite weekend and you'll be fine. I was replacing mine completely, not soldering, so there is also one rivet you have to drill out to remove the lock mechanism completely.

VAG-COM is telling me now that my NS front and OS rear are causing problems, so I'll probably do the same on those 2 doors in the near future, although this time I think I'll check the soldering though as opposed to buying new parts. Takes me minimum 3 presses of the fob to lock the car.

claranet
06-11-2007, 11:01 PM
I too have the same issue, and have found this http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/doorlockmechanism/ which details how to dismantle everything.

It does not look too complex a job, but it is one I keep putting off. I guess when I leave the lights on and run the battery down I will do something about it!

In the meantime I will try giving the lock a liberal spray of brake cleaner and if it works I'll let you know.

Rodders
Thanks everyone, for all your help. I think that I'll wait for the better weather and longer days to tackle this. The one thing I didn't try was opening the door with the key a few times this may flex the PCB enough to make the dry joint less intermittent, the dealer's quote of £300 suggests that the problem is lengthy to fix, I am willing to put up with it as long as we remember to start the engine as soon as entering the car ! The information you have supplied is very welcome, thank you.
Regards
claranet