PDA

View Full Version : Switched live on MK5 stereo

descb600f
05-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Does anyone know which wire leading to the stereo is switched.
At the minute my head unit is permanently live and id prefer it to turn off when i take the key out.

bora(ing) nick
05-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Don't think it's that simple on mk5's????

IIRC, i think they are switched via the can-bus system?

I dont know enough about it TBH, but somebody on here will.

In mk 4's it's either the red or yellow cable. ones permanant live and the other switched, and somtimes when people put aftermarket headunits in, these 2 wires need swapping round due to the headunit losing it's memory, etc.

Sorry i couldn't help more.

Nick

Froggy
06-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Nick's correct there isn't a switched at the radio. It's all done with a Can-bus.

Try picking one up by spurring a fused feed from the cigar lighter, it goes on and off with the ignition.

bora(ing) nick
06-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Nick's correct there isn't a switched at the radio. It's all done with a Can-bus.

Try picking one up by spurring a fused feed from the cigar lighter, it goes on and off with the ignition.

:approve: Cheers for clarifying!

:beerchug:

Nick

descb600f
06-11-2007, 11:47 AM
This almost seems like a step backwards to me.
Is this solvable with vag-com or am I gonna have to butcher the wires?

bora(ing) nick
06-11-2007, 11:54 AM
This almost seems like a step backwards to me.
Is this solvable with vag-com or am I gonna have to butcher the wires?

Butcher the wires!

Nick

Ben
06-11-2007, 09:18 PM
with my mk5, with the radio on, i can stop the car, turn the engine off, and the radio goes off when i remove the key from the igintion.

I find this just suitable.

Also you can turn the radio on without the key in the ignition (if i remember correctly) and it will turn its self off after 1 hour. I know this as i was washing the car at the time and suddenly the radio turned off.

descb600f
06-11-2007, 11:59 PM
I take it this is with the oem radio.
I have an aftermarket Sony fitted which seems to be live all the time

baz_4
29-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Hi Des, are you still having problems with the headunit?
all you have to do is find a switched live from the fusebox and connect it directly to your headunit. means no cutting of wires and hopefully no problems!!!!

Baz

nickgttdi
29-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Folks, OEM do switch off with the ignition but uses data pulses from the CAN-BUS. Best location is the 12v power slot

descb600f
29-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Gave up and just turn the stereo off manually when I stop the car.
Luckily if i keep my finger on the off button it shuts down like the switched live is off

bumba007
10-03-2016, 05:20 PM
i just brought a lead £35 from auto centre which as the cam bus interface fitted so when turn igniton off system stays on until remove key