PDA

View Full Version : A4 2.8 Auto Gear Selection Inidcator fault

dgoadby
05-11-2007, 03:49 PM
I have an S plate A4 2.8SE (V6) with the Tiptronic auto gearbox. Mileage is 80,000.

Yesterday, when I started the car, the gearbox part of the display showed all of the gear options (PNR4321) inverted that is black, or unlit, digits on a bright red background. Also, the system no longer displays the initial reminder to "put my foot on the brake before changing gear".

I have checked all fuses - ok, and also removed power at the battery to see if that would fix it. Nothing has so far.

Everything seems to work ok but the gear selector display never changes. The other display items such as fuel consumption, warning sensors etc are all working.

Any ideas on this?

I had a new gearbox last year but it has been perfect for 14 months.

lonky
06-11-2007, 02:23 AM
Would suspect that you also have lost the tiptronic option and the box is changing a bit lumpy.

If that is the case the ECU has put the box in limp home mode.

You need to find somebody to read the fault codes, and reset them. Often it is a simple fault that will go away.

easy option is to get a vag-com lead and check it

dgoadby
14-12-2007, 01:08 PM
You are right! The box hiccuped when the car was cranked on a poor battery. The dealer reset it using the diagnostic box and all was well afterwards.

Thanks for the reply.