PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Error code P0343 Camshaft Posistion Sensor (G40) Signal Too high.

markybhoy75
20-11-2018, 11:58 AM
I have recently had a bit of bother with my old Passat.

Occasionally losing power in second and third gear just after starting. After a few miles everything seems grand. I recently had the handbrake cables replaced and have subsequently has a bit of bother starting her. Usually starts after three or four turns.

Engine warning light came on at the weekend .

Error code Error code P0343 Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) Signal Too high.

Any idea what this could be / Could it be related to the recent handbrake work the mechanic said it was quite complicated to replace the cables.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

marky

Rob69
20-11-2018, 01:41 PM
It sounds like the sensor is failing or your timing is out, you don't say if petrol or diesel or age, quick check remove the top timing belt cover and check the belt is still tight and look at it while running to see if the belt is flapping about. Unlikely to be related to the handbrake cable job, just the joys of owning an old car.

markybhoy75
20-11-2018, 02:14 PM
Cheers for the reply Rob.

Petrol (does have LPG but not running gas at the minute) shes 2002 137k on the clock and timing belt and water pump changed at 113k

Im pretty clueless where is this cover and ill have a wee look when I have a chance

markybhoy75
21-11-2018, 10:30 AM
Cheers for the reply Rob.

Petrol (does have LPG but not running gas at the minute) shes 2002 137k on the clock and timing belt and water pump changed at 113k

Im pretty clueless where is this cover and ill have a wee look when I have a chance

I got the cover off enough to see the belt. Looks pretty new and seems to be running true on the cogs.

Cheers

Marky

Rob69
21-11-2018, 05:10 PM
Do you have any other codes since the check engine light came on? Not being funny but if you were struggling to find the cover then I reckon you need to take this to a garage to get the sensor checked and maybe changed or further investigations

markybhoy75
21-11-2018, 11:14 PM
Do you have any other codes since the check engine light came on? Not being funny but if you were struggling to find the cover then I reckon you need to take this to a garage to get the sensor checked and maybe changed or further investigations

Hi there.

Thanks for your reply.

I do have another error code.

I will be taking it to a garage but the recent MOT including handbrake left me a bit skint. Really ust want to know that its safe to drive. I only do about 100 miles a week commuting to work

16558/P0174 - System Too Lean, Bank 2
Just ordered a fuel filter and MAF do you think i should get a cam sensor as well. Good dicounts on a popular parts site for Black Friday.

Thanks again

Marky

Rob69
24-11-2018, 08:54 AM
Don't throw parts at the car, it rarely works and that popular parts site always have deals on and always seem to supply the wrong parts( in my experience of using them!!) Your poor starting, hesitation at acceleration and check engine light are more likely due to the p0174 fault than the cam sensor fault. Is this a V6 engine with lpg? Your fuel / air mix is wrong, too lean = too much air relative to fuel, this could be due to the Oxygen sensor failing, throttle body problem, engine crankcase breathing system, EGR valve problem, split hose on the induction system letting unmetered air into the engine. Could also be your MAF sensor but maybe not. You could remove the engine cover plastic and do some basic checks of plastic pipework and hoses look for splits before garaging it. I think your original cam sensor code is a secondary fault not related to this lean running.