PDA

View Full Version : Could someone shed some light on this Plz

Tysan
05-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Good Morning all......
Got a problem that so far three mechanics cannot find the reason. Basically when i have driven for a while there is a noise from the front left side wheel area. The best way to describe this noise is......if you get your self a lump of metal and tie a string around it and drag it along the road......that sort of noise. it sometimes sounds like that car is about to fall appart.....like something is very loose and dangling.

I have taken the wheel off and checked everything to make sure nothing is hanging loose. the noise stops when i apply the brakes. because this noise doesn't appear all the time, when i take it to the mechanic he can't hear it. when i can hear it all i have around me is cows and sheeps.....:confused:

Have any of you guys had this trouble?......

Please help......:1zhelp:

Crasher
05-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Is the left front brake getting hotter than the right front?

Tysan
05-11-2007, 11:33 AM
I haven't noticed it. Pads seem fine to me.

bit more info about the car, 2004, 1.9TDi, 100bhp and 69000miles on clock.

So far spent £180 on replacing rear discs and pads. had the car for about 2months and wondering if this is something serious and it is a money trap....:confused:

Crasher
05-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Does the outer CV boot on that side look new?

Tysan
05-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Nope....it looks the same as the other side.....

Crasher.....what are you suspecting.....

fozzie
05-11-2007, 03:05 PM
does the noise get quicker with car speed!
it happens after a while how long does it take?
have you jacked the wheel up and tried wobbling the wheel by grabbing the top and bottom and push/pulling it?

are the discs worn, ie is thier a lip on the edge of the disc?
Fozzie!

Tysan
05-11-2007, 03:14 PM
I have tried wobbling the wheel thinking it could be the wheel bearings. nope that all seems solid. one thing i noticed was that when the car is on jack and the wheel is off, i tried to rotate the disc. the disc had a little wobble, like about 2mm. This was when the wheel is off and i thought when the wheel is back on there shouldn't be any problem as there is nothing except the wheel nuts holding the disc in place.

I drove from southampton to swindon and back over the weekend and no noise. then i drove about 2miles in town and there it was. it was that loud people on the pavement nearly jumped thinking it could be the grim reaper draging its heel on the way to get them.....lol

Crasher
05-11-2007, 06:59 PM
I think what you are describing is a CV joint knocking.

Tysan
06-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks guys....guess better look around the flat for some cash then.....:aargh4:

wicklah
06-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Dunno if it would help, but have you considered swapping the discs to the other side along with the wheel? Might eliminate potential problems.

Not sure if it is recommended to swap discs around like that, so apologies if it isn't (but off the top of my head I can't see why not).

(My tupence is it is the wheel bearing, but i'm only DIY, not professional :D )

onzarob
06-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Dunno if it would help, but have you considered swapping the discs to the other side along with the wheel? Might eliminate potential problems.

Not sure if it is recommended to swap discs around like that, so apologies if it isn't (but off the top of my head I can't see why not).

No don't swap the disc's, once they have been used then they have bedded in. Just not recommended.

swap the wheels by all means. If the CV boot is not new have you check it for grease as it could be dry.

I think this will be very hard to diagnose by forum!!!

wicklah
06-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Good to know, makes perfect sense too. Apologies for the side track.

southamptonadi
07-11-2007, 01:13 PM
as you have had three mechanics look at it i might be way of the mark but as no one has mentioned i will just to be safe, i had a simuler noise everytime i went over a bump could not work out what it was, but after reading haynes manual i found there is an anti rattle clip for the pads and after looking this was not on properly. i put it back on and the noise vanished.
im thinking this has been looked at if not would be worth checking

adrian

southamptonadi
07-11-2007, 01:56 PM
sorry p.s i thoughgt of this because you said it stops when you brake and thats exactly what mine did.

adrian

Pod1.9TDi
08-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Had the same problem myself, in my case it was the anti rattle clip, the main dealer had neglected to repalce it after doing work on the car, they also forgot to fasten the clip on the drive shaft when they replaced it :zx11:, anyway thats a different story. I had to order a clip from the main dealer, cost £3 odd, but since its been on, no noise. :o

southamptonadi
17-11-2007, 01:59 AM
have you got any updates on your problem yet

adrian

john250
21-02-2008, 07:14 PM
May sound like a stupid suggestion n if so apologies, but are you sure its related to the wheel area. It sounds very like the way my Cat sounded when the baffles came loose. When you're driving steadily you didn't hear anything but in town it sounded like a bag o nails. On the 1.9Tdi the Cat is locatedjust beside the driver's foot well so the noise sounds like its coming from around the RH front corner of the car.

You may be able to check by just revving the engine while parked.

Cheers

John250

Eddie
21-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Ime not hijacking this post or anything but on the subject of wheel bearings my mate came up to ours last week with a noise coming from his o/s/f wheel sounded like bearing to me whipped it up on the jack,checked it over for play up,down,sideways,leverbars the lot it felt sweet,checked driveshaft even though it was only replaced 12mnths ago perfect,took hub off wheel bearing was in pieces,so much for checking play eh

paudi
21-02-2008, 11:48 PM

I think, if you remove the disc, you'll find a stone inside . seen it lots of times