PDA

View Full Version : Rattle under passenger (or Drivers) seat: Not your problem today but maybe someday.....

FortyPlus
15-10-2018, 09:14 PM
Hi all
I had been hugely irritated by a rattle from somewhere in the back seat area of my Q7 but could not isolate it. Annoyingly it happened on roundabouts and corners, but less so over bumps. When in for the first service I asked the garage to investigate and they felt it was something that had gotten into the heating duct under the passenger seat. The only cure was to remove the seat & duct, several hours work and several hundred euro in labour.
I had a moment of inspiration and fashioned a 60cm long extension for a vacuum cleaner from duct tape, a ad-blue filler hose (!) discarded flexible electrical conduit and fished around in the ducting. After a few attempts and different designs I finally fished out the offending item: a blanking plug from the 12V power point.

Interesting that it was at least 30cm down in the ducting, and not easy to retrieve. There is nothing to stop coins, etc getting kicked into the duct.

Nemo78
15-10-2018, 09:16 PM
Good heads up [emoji1360]

I thins evening picked up some of the kiddies little toys which got close to the heater ducts for the same reason if they could go in - hadn’t thought about how they’d come back out.

Loving the ingenuity there also [emoji1360]

wardienet
16-10-2018, 07:44 AM
That’s v interesting thanks for posting. I too have a mysterious rattle type of noise, only happens on cornering and is like something sliding on plastic. Probably a kids thing. I removed various things from the plastic area under the 2nd row seats but it is still there. I may look in this duct. Where is the access point please? I’ve got one of those small-camera-on-a-flexible-stick gadgets I could try that...

Q7 MY16 272PS S-Line Tech/Tour/Trailer packs, orca black, 21 inch 9.5J rims, rotor grey leather, sunroof, BOSE, ambient lighting, reversing cam, drivers memory seat. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

FortyPlus
16-10-2018, 07:59 AM
Move the front seats forward: you can see the ventilation ducts under the front seats.

There are 3 individual ducts, each approx 5cm x 2cm. The center one that allowed best access. As best I could tell the duct bends down quite a bit. I had about 30 to 40cm of bendy vacuum tube in the vent before I found my object.
When driving the rattle sounds like it's in the back seat, but if you travel in the back you will see it's under the front seat.

wardienet
16-10-2018, 08:49 PM
When driving the rattle sounds like it's in the back seat, but if you travel in the back you will see it's under the front seat.
Spooky! That’s exactly what my wife and kids said to each other in the car. Definitely need to look in there. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk