PDA

View Full Version : Alhambra 1.8 20VT timing belt change (2002)

po79
11-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Hi All,
This is my first post here so hello one and all.
I recently purchased this Alhambra and don't know its history so would like to get it up together and serviced etc.

Can anyone tell me if the timing belt change is an easy DIY job, any special tools, known problems or just good advice. I am competent at mechanical work but have never worked on these engines before.

Are there any good threads or videos I should watch first, I have looked but not found anything relevant (computers not my strongest skill).

Cheers,

Po79.

Crasher
11-10-2018, 09:22 PM
The access is awkward and the job fiddly but not much in the way of special tools required apart from some versions have a tensioner that needs a special long thin bolt and a locking pin unless you use a new tensioner which has a grenade pin type release.

landrover
16-10-2018, 06:00 PM
Timing belt is relatively easy job to do. You may need tools to lock the camshaft in position. Have a look on You Tube there should be a few examples of how it is done. Replace the water pump as well because you will have taken everything off and it would be crazy not to change the water pump whilst you have it stripped.
If you are interested I have a new Gates timing belt kit and metal water pump for the 1.8 20VT engine for sale for a fair price if you are looking for one. I bought it to fit to my Alhambra but then changed the vehicle for another diesel powered Alhambra. I am located in South Wales.

Crasher
16-10-2018, 08:52 PM
No locking tools as such, just a tensioner retaining plate.