PDA

View Full Version : 2005 2.0 tdi cam belt change

chunks67
04-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Hi guys
I'm new to this forum site,and have just bought an 2005 2.0 tdi 140 se passat from a main dealer, I got a good deal on this as its done 62,000 and is in very good condition,the dealer said they will make sure is serviced before I get it. My question is when does the cam belt need changing? I'm from a peugeot back ground so haven't got a clue on vw's and want to get the dealer to do it before i pick it up.

thanks graham
:1zhelp:

imc
06-11-2007, 06:13 PM
I believe the CAM belt change is at 80000.

Regards

imc

jewjew24
06-11-2007, 07:35 PM
80,000 miles and my friendly service receptionist advised me to expect to pay around £400 for this ouch!!!

chunks67
06-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks for that, I better start saving up then

regards

Graham :beerchug:

Isoproturon
13-12-2008, 10:40 PM
I have a 2006/56 2.0tdi and was told it was 80K miles but looked in the manual supplement tonight which states it is now 100K miles. Not sure when this came in though.

j40aja
13-12-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm sure there is also a time limit on it not just a mileage.

Not sure if it's 4 years or 6, VAG revised their recommendations recently as they were having alot of cam belt failures.

I think the 4 years are for petrol models and 6 years for the deisels.

martin1810
14-12-2008, 06:56 PM
The cambelt job is expensive because you should have the belt, tensioner and waterpump changed all in one.

Quatrelle
14-12-2008, 09:42 PM
If you do a lot of stop/start, low gear driving, go for the lower mileage.

limawhiskey
16-12-2008, 10:03 PM
I've just had the cambelt, tensioner and water pump changed and it cost me £315 all in. I had a voucher from my local VW dealer for a £280 cambelt change but it's best to get the water pump changed at the same time.
Try and get the price down, they want the work after all. Remember you get a 2 year warranty on the belt so if anything goes wrong they'll fix it - worth bearing in mind if you were thinking of going to an independent garage. Peace of mind is worth the extra few quid.
Good luck and get haggling.

Martin Burnard
10-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Just been told by our local VW dealership that they now recommend 4 years or 40,000m for cambelt change, whichever is soon.:aargh4:

Stuart W
10-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Recently had mine serviced by my local dealer at 75,000 and they mentioned that the belt change was due at 80,000, and no mention of any change in this.

Of course, to be ultra-prudent changing it at 40,000 miles might seem a good course of action, but you wonder whether these recommendations are based on a sound analysis of risk or are just designed to drum up business.

A fast-fit outlet once told me that their head office recommended new shock absorbers every 40,000 miles, but one of the fitters admitted that this was nonsense.

My old Mondeo still had the original shockers fitted when it went to that great scrapyard in the sky at 280,000.

Remaster
11-01-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure I'll risk 80k miles on my car. I had the belt, tensioner and water pump changed on my Audi A4 1.9TDi at 60k and the old parts looked pretty robust and in good nick. But you can't see the potential internal damage on the belt caused by the stresses created by these torquey diesel engines.

I think a 60k interval would be advisable. It's a lot cheaper than a new engine!

Quatrelle
11-01-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure I'll risk 80k miles on my car. I had the belt, tensioner and water pump changed on my Audi A4 1.9TDi at 60k and the old parts looked pretty robust and in good nick. But you can't see the potential internal damage on the belt caused by the stresses created by these torquey diesel engines.

I think a 60k interval would be advisable. It's a lot cheaper than a new engine!

I don't think the torque of a diesel engine is important to cambelt life - it is after all only driving the valve gear and water pump.

If you think about it, rather than the mileage, it's the number of times the engine turns that should determine cambelt life, and this would obviously be very difficult to count.

An engine that spends a lot of time in the lower gears should in theory wear its cambelt out quicker than one that spends a lot of its time on the motorway in top - 30 mins at 2,500 revs in sixth takes you a lot farther than 2,500 in, say, second.

If anything, I would have thought that the cambelt on a diesel would last longer than that of an equivalent petrol engine because it is generally lower revving, never getting up to the giddy heights of 6-7000+rpm (hopefully!)

However, as you say, 60,000 miles is more than enough - I think I'd definitely be getting a bit edgy after that, regardless of what gear the engine had spent most of its life in.

daveo138
11-01-2009, 03:01 PM
I agree with Quatrelle about the cambelt change. You would have thought that the ECU could easily record the number of hours that the engine has run. After all, it has to monitor all sorts of things for 'longlife' servicing.

I had no qualms about buying my B5 which had done 100,000 miles in 3 years, as I figured the engine and drivetrain had probably done a lot less work up and down motorways than a 50,000 mile car which had been driven around town, up and down the gearbox, over speed bumps, etc., etc.

martin1810
11-01-2009, 03:50 PM
80,000 miles or within five years is the usual recommendation, dealers will encourage sooner rather than later. They get paid for the job, you get peace of mind. If you have the job done when the dealer suggests, you have a better case if it snaps before it's next due for a change.

Stuart W
12-01-2009, 03:42 AM
80,000 miles or within five years is the usual recommendation, dealers will encourage sooner rather than later. They get paid for the job, you get peace of mind. If you have the job done when the dealer suggests, you have a better case if it snaps before it's next due for a change.

I can't see any mechanical logic in that, since once it's changed it doesn't really matter how long the old belt's been on, so presumably you're meaning some other logic?

Stuart W
12-01-2009, 03:46 AM
I don't think the torque of a diesel engine is important to cambelt life - it is after all only driving the valve gear and water pump.

If you think about it, rather than the mileage, it's the number of times the engine turns that should determine cambelt life, and this would obviously be very difficult to count.

An engine that spends a lot of time in the lower gears should in theory wear its cambelt out quicker than one that spends a lot of its time on the motorway in top - 30 mins at 2,500 revs in sixth takes you a lot farther than 2,500 in, say, second.

If anything, I would have thought that the cambelt on a diesel would last longer than that of an equivalent petrol engine because it is generally lower revving, never getting up to the giddy heights of 6-7000+rpm (hopefully!)

From a non-technical perspective I'd always thought that it was changes in the revs that would cause most stress to the belt - eg starting, stopping, gear changes - rather than constant revs, which I would guess would be comparatively easy on the belt.

martin1810
12-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Stuart. I meant if you have the belt changed at 60k by the dealer and the new one snaps at 80k your belt has only done 20k so you should be able to claim compensation. If you left the old belt on until 81k the dealer might say, not our problem you should have changed it before 80K.

Quatrelle
12-01-2009, 08:18 PM
From a non-technical perspective I'd always thought that it was changes in the revs that would cause most stress to the belt - eg starting, stopping, gear changes .....
Exactly, which is of course what a car doesn't do when it's sitting cruising comfortably on the motorway. Hence my saying that an engine that spends a lot of its time in the lower gears, e.g. in traffic, will wear its belt out quicker.

I wouldn't have thought stopping would make much difference, given that a camshaft will always want to stop turning due to the resistance of the valve gear.

With my apologies if I'm teaching grannies to suck eggs:o

Isoproturon
12-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Recently had mine serviced by my local dealer at 75,000 and they mentioned that the belt change was due at 80,000, and no mention of any change in this.

What year? Mine says 100,000 in the manual supplement (late 2006 model).

Quatrelle
13-01-2009, 12:19 PM
I bought mine new in Dec. 2006. I've got the French and UK handbooks and in both it says 80,000miles/120,000kms. Both have a print date of 2005.

Presumably when you say manual you are referring to the driver's handbook? Don't think there's a supplement in either of mine. Has it got a section number?

Because I don't do a high mileage I think mine will be changed on the basis of age rather than mileage, but personally there's no way I would leave mine to 100,000 miles/160,000kms. Even though they are checked at higher mileage services, from experience with our Laguna I'd start getting nervous after 60,000 miles, mainly from worrying about the water pump which can wreck a belt in short order.

Stuart W
13-01-2009, 06:48 PM

06 reg, but I think it was manufactured in 2005.

If your later model has extended the period then it's interesting that someone somewhere has reduced it more recently, perhaps suggesting that it's a dealer rather than manufacturer initiative.