PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can to VW 2.0L TDI Sport (2007 Facelift PD with DPF)

Gizmo WV
23-09-2018, 12:22 PM
Hello Every One

Have been researching the above item and would like to fit one to our vehicle which is very low mileage and has a BMM engine.

Problem I am having is that I cannot find any information about which pipe to cut into to join the catch can to.

Is it the crankcase breather hose, if so, they are clip on fit and not a straight forward hose and does not appear to go to the air intake pipe from air filter.

Does it fit on the air intake side from the air filter or on the vacuum boost pipe on left side of engine , which runs from front of engine to butterfly valve.

Have done a lot of browsing, but our engine does not seem popular for doing this kind of thing to, there are lots of things about TSI, but not TDI BMM engine.

Hoping some nice person can advise.

Thank You

Crasher
23-09-2018, 07:00 PM
I am sorry but I can’t see any possible reason for you wanting to do this, if you have oil in the charge air system to any great extent then you have a problem with the turbo, not crankshaft ventilation. The only crankshaft vent feed on the BMM engine is a plastic fast fit hose from the cam cover directly into the intake pipe pre turbo and with age this pipe, 03G 103 493 E at £29.44, becomes very fragile.

Gizmo WV
23-09-2018, 08:42 PM
Hello Crasher

I have noted your comments, Thank You.

The thing with oil through the vacuum pipes, including Butterfly Valve, EGR Valve, Turbo and related parts, also not only diesel, but petrol TSI and FSI engines, all vehicles get blow by which vents a certain amount of oil, water vapour and gases, all of which coat any normal running vehicle with a closed vacuum system, a certain amount of oil is present in most if not all, a lot of it gets sent around and burnt off, however, eventually this coats all parts in the vacuum system and turns to black horrible carbon which clogs up all parts in the vacuum system, which is why there are so many cleaners for EGR, DPF, etc, on the market.

With an Oil Catch Can, such as the one by Mishimoto, this traps the oil and vapour, but allows the gases to pass through as normal, due to a filter being present to allow this to happen.

Therefore, it helps and keeps this carbon build up to a minimum, which also will help to save costly turbo problems, EGR replacement and failures.

I have completed quite a bit of investigating from all over the WWW on this matter and results have been quite positive with one in place.

This is the reason I am considering going down this route.

Thank You

Gizmo WM

Crasher
23-09-2018, 11:48 PM
Most charge air system (i.e. boost air) oil is from the turbo’s compressor side shaft piston ring, blow by oil vapour via the cam cover breather valve is negligible. Also the BMM has a reduced oil vapour vent system compared to its almost identical BKD version specifically for the reduction of oil vapour injestion to reduce the contamination of the DPF. But, don’t let me stop you throwing your money at useless accessories, it is your hard earned cash after all...