PDA

View Full Version : Advanced (Direct) Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - Retrofit

andyhud007
09-09-2018, 10:42 PM
Hi All,

Just wanted to share my next recently completed retrofit on my 2016 Q7 4M

This time, it was for altering the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). By default, in the UK, there is no option for an 'alternate' TPMS system, instead all we get is an "Indirect" Monitoring System which utilises the existing ABS Sensors to learn and characterise the rotational speed of each wheel etc. If it deems to alter within a certain margin, then we are alerted of this and potential pressure loss in a wheel.

However, there is a more "advanced" TPMS system which is called a 'Direct' TPMS method, which uses special sensors installed inside the rim of each wheel where the valve goes, and a receiver module installed in the car which then reports back the pressure and temperatures of each wheel in real-time into the MMI and Instrument Cluster (VC or Non-VC). This option is not available in the UK on Q7's for some reason but it doesn't mean you can't have it. Australia for example do get this system.

I actually fitted the system quite a while ago (well over 6 months ago) but I've had a constant struggle to figure out the necessary coding changes needed to the vehicle to turn off the old 'Indirect' system and enable the new 'Direct' system. Thankfully, thanks to the help of some fellow enthusiasts around the globe we managed to crack it and now its working brilliantly.

So, firstly you need new valves fitted to your wheels, so I got a local garage of mine to whip all 4 wheels off the car, take the tyres off, remove the old standard valves and put the new sensor valves on. These have little sealed batteries in them and should last around 3 years. They only 'wake up' after your going over 16 Mph, so when the car is parked etc, they sleep to conserve power.

Once done, and the rest of the system is fired up and coded correctly, you now have real-time measurements of pressure and temperature of all 4 wheels in the MMI and on the Virtual Cockpit.

TPMS Monitor in Virtual Cockpit

In the newer Q7's with Virtual Cockpit you will get a little "car" aswell (like in the MMI photo below) in the blank space in the middle of all 4 TPMS readings. As mine is a 2016 model I don't have this, so its a blank space on my VC cockpit in the middle as shown above.

TPMS Monitor on MMI Screen

Since the above pictures taken the other day I've changed the readings from "bar" to "psi" also as I prefer that.

These change in real-time and if the pressures fall (after you first store the pressures in the system) then the specified wheel entry on the MMI and VC cockpit turns yellow in colour and a TPMS warning is flashed up respectively. If its really bad, it goes red :aargh4:

I'm really pleased with this and its bizarre its not available as an option on UK Factory Q7 4M orders but there you go... it can be done.

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers

Andy

Dogzdinner
09-09-2018, 10:48 PM
Is it just the new sensors and coding that is required Andy or is there a receiver module as well?

How much?

Tom...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyhud007
09-09-2018, 10:49 PM
Is it just the new sensors and coding that is required Andy or is there a receiver module as well?

How much?

Tom...

Sensors and Receiver module + bracket + wiring Tom... I got all mine from eb8y second hand... (but made my own wiring loom up)

Nemo78
10-09-2018, 11:43 AM
Yet again you’ve gone and done something amazing! Well done on persisting and not giving up.

Cracking work mate - next up rear seat foot massagers yes?

Retom
10-09-2018, 09:52 PM
Hi Andy,
Congratulations - excellent job as usual!
I have a question. I have factory installed TPMS system and I can monitor it in the MMI but not on the Virtual Cockpit. My car is model 2016. What should I do (coding?) to call this function also on VC?
Cheers

andyhud007
11-09-2018, 08:39 AM
Hi Andy,
Congratulations - excellent job as usual!
I have a question. I have factory installed TPMS system and I can monitor it in the MMI but not on the Virtual Cockpit. My car is model 2016. What should I do (coding?) to call this function also on VC?
Cheers

Cheers Retom :D

Ping me on email or PM and we can sort.

Cheers

Andy

andyhud007
11-09-2018, 08:40 AM
Yet again you’ve gone and done something amazing! Well done on persisting and not giving up.

Cracking work mate - next up rear seat foot massagers yes?

Lol.... Might need an A8 for that :)

inchshort
22-10-2018, 08:19 PM
Thanks for your help with this Andy, just managed to get this installed and up and running.

Happy with the system so far.

Does it only show the temperature and pressure when parked?, I thought it may display it while I’m driving?

andyhud007
22-10-2018, 08:20 PM
I'll ping you on details of how to do that Inchshort

Andy

madtrader
27-10-2018, 09:05 AM
Hi Andy,

I got an Audi Q7 4M 2016 and i want to do retrofit TPMS just like you.My car doesn't have Virtual Cockpit so maybe i only need the exactly bar of each wheel on MMI ok for me.Please help me to do this,which parts should i buy?And how to retrofit.Thank you so much Andy,i have been following you from many posts already

inchshort
27-10-2018, 09:55 AM
Hi madtrader,
im really happy with mine, I find I prefer to have this as my vc screen all the time watching it increase as I drive and the wheels warm up thus increasing in pressure and temperature.

If you don’t have vc you can see it on the MMI but only when stationary, but cars without vc do have the information display so you may be able to get it constantly displayed whilst driving.

Andy is a top bloke who will help you with that. I’ve had a few mods done by Andy which have all been superb retrofits and alot cheaper than going to a Audi retrofit workshop.

andyhud007
27-10-2018, 10:08 AM
Hi Madtrader. I'll clear my inbox and pm you in a couple of hours.

We can make Tpms work on a non vc cluster too.

Thanks Inchshort for your kind words. Appreciated.

Andy.

madtrader
28-10-2018, 12:26 PM
hi inchshort,andy : oh sh*t you guys reply so fast thank you very much.The price of Audi in my country is f*cking crazy but they have lacks of options....I tried to send you a pm but your inbox was full that's why

ragebe
02-03-2019, 10:23 AM
I was just doing a quick search for tyre pressures, to see what everybody else uses - 37 psi for me - and this thread popped up. I might have to have a whirl at this one Andy, cracking stuff (as usual)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

inchshort
02-03-2019, 10:33 AM
My car has just been in for a service I have the 22inch SQ7 wheels on, and they (Audi dealership) have reduced them to 33psi!, I had them on 37 psi previously. I’m not sure what to use!

inchshort
02-03-2019, 12:11 PM
Obviously this has only become evident because of this mod as it’s difficult to tell a 5 psi shift just by looking at the tyre.

ragebe
02-03-2019, 12:19 PM
I recently had the tyre-pressure warning pop up and upon reading the pressures, found one had dropped about 9 psi. That's quite a drop, hence thinking a positive monitoring would be better.

Best get on eBay and see what's available.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

inchshort
02-03-2019, 12:38 PM
If you’re going oem then you need the module and 4 sensors installed in your wheel, module wires into can bus and coded. All parts available on eBay. Parts will cost you around £150.

Jonh1969
08-03-2019, 09:59 AM
Andy - this looks fantastic. I would love this mod, I am in Scotland and guess you are in the south? So asking you to do this isn’t going to work. is it something I would be able to tackle myself, and if so (i would be happy to pay) would you be able to help me remotely? Finally, for the coding .... I have OBDeleven, will that work or would I need access to something a bit more industrial? Feel free to PM me if you’d prefer.

rsg
20-03-2019, 11:57 AM
I got anAudi Q7 4M 2016 and i want to do retrofit TPMS just like you.
Please helpme to do this,which parts should i buy?And how to retrofit.
would yoube able to help me remotely? Finally, for the coding .... I have OBDeleven,will that work.

mazerati
24-05-2019, 10:24 AM
Hi Andy,

I am giving this mod a go , all hardware installed fairly simple.
Iv'e sent youn a PM with a query.

Keith

Jonh1969
24-05-2019, 03:56 PM
Keith

I have been looking at this with Andy's help - but haven't yet cranked the car open to do the retrofit. How easy was the wiring? Especially the CAN lines?

Jonathan

mazerati
24-05-2019, 06:37 PM
Hi Jonathan,

Wiring was fairly straightforward,
12v , Gnd, two Can wires.
I have the 360 camera module installed in the boot just below the fuse board,
luckly the Can wires are there and I just spliced into these.
If you only have the backup camera the wires are with that.
Not sure wherelse you can pick them up I'll check the wiring diagrams.
Good luck
Keith

mazerati
24-05-2019, 06:50 PM
Just had a quick look, If no cameras pretty sure you will have the AddBlue
unit in the boot so you could pick them up there .
The offending wires were -( twisted pair ) orange/grey and orange/brown.
Hope this helps .

Keith

wardienet
26-05-2019, 08:22 AM
If it is any consolation to those less adventurous than this, I proved the standard indirect TPMS works OK yesterday. Nail in rear right on A1M. No spare tyre as that’s where the BOSE subwoofer is :-). Warning kicked in when the pressure (measured shortly after I stopped) got to under 30 psi. Luckily after a short low loader trip, a local dealer had some of the stock AO Pirelli’s in...

sbc55
20-10-2019, 06:32 AM
Hi Andy,

I have just retrofitted TPMS but i only can use the sport display option in order to display the TPMS in VC. Not sure yours is the same. I have made changes to 17 under TPMS-BAP and enabled it. Can you share your coding so i can check? Thanks.

andyhud007
20-10-2019, 07:54 AM
Hi Andy,

I have just retrofitted TPMS but i only can use the sport display option in order to display the TPMS in VC. Not sure yours is the same. I have made changes to 17 under TPMS-BAP and enabled it. Can you share your coding so i can check? Thanks.Yep. That's how you view it on the VC. Under sports display. You've done the right way.

Good Job

Andy

sony..
23-09-2020, 04:29 PM
Hi, do you happen to have a photo of this location? Is the 360cam Module below the subwoofer or Bose module?

Thanks

mazerati
24-09-2020, 11:22 AM
Hi,

The camera module is mounted to the left of the bose module.
Under the fuse board. stood on end with lots of coloured plugs!

keith

sony..
24-09-2020, 01:35 PM
Hi,

keith

Thanks for the information.

sony..
19-11-2020, 03:21 PM
Hi,

keith

Hi,

Took out the cover to the fuse box but can’t find any twisted pair.

Do I need to strip off the left panel and lift up the fuse box to get to the 360cam module where the canbus wire are?

I note that u mentioned it’s twisted pair with orange/grey and Orange/brown.

Thanks again.

mazerati
19-11-2020, 06:27 PM
Hi,

Yes you will need to remove the luggage securing rail if you have one and there is a screw hidden behind the boot switches above the fuse board .
The side panel just pulls off.
the camera module is hiding just in front of the fuse board between it and your amp, hidden by the side panel.

sony..
19-11-2020, 10:15 PM

thanks mazerati, finally got it sorted out.

Niltonrb
01-05-2021, 09:12 AM
Hi Andy… thanks for the sharing.
Could you share the parts numbers of the items?

medicalpal
31-05-2021, 11:53 PM
I did it on my 2018 q7 (US) successfully with one problem with VC display in which the Tyre pressure green font is on top of the white font title as in the picture... any of you encountered this and how to fix it? thanks in advance.

mazerati
01-06-2021, 07:16 PM
You will have to check with Andy but it looks as though the old standard system is still activated and needs to be deactivated

hukochanmiy
01-06-2021, 07:58 PM
Free Shipping by DHL or FedEx in 24 hours (except Sunday), which takes 5-7 business days (except for some countries with difficult customs clearance

https://apextominer.com/en_gb/product/bitmain-antminer-z15-second-hand/

https://apextominer.com/en_gb/product/bitmain-antminer-s17-bitcoin-miner-73-th-s-second-hand/

https://apextominer.com/en_gb/product/bitmain-antminer-s19-bitcoin-miner-95-th-s-second-hand/

Отправлено с моего SM-G965F через Tapatalk

mgbyte
24-03-2022, 07:01 PM
Great write-up - I have installed TMPS on my 2018 EU successful but encountered the same issue with the VC display overlaid in the Sport Menu as #medicalpal (https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=medicalpal) - can someone please assist on how to fix this issue? Many thanks in advance