PDA

View Full Version : Question Fault code 5286 - likely fix ?

philipharmes
28-08-2018, 06:37 PM
My sons 2012 2l diesel Tiguan with CFFB engine has just thrown up the engine light.

He has had the code read (5286 ) which I belive is to do with the EGR.

I thought it would be like my CBAB engine in my Passat with the EGR valve on the inlet stub above the throttle valve but it is not.

I can see the EGR pipe joining the stub but there doesn't seem to be a valve there.
The EGR pipe goes back to the block at the front of the engine, there seems to be another EGR pipe joining the block at a similar position at the back of the engine.
But I can't see where it goes from there.

Can anyone advise what the likely fault will be or where the actual EGR valve is located.

Would like to add that the car drives absolutely fine.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

philipharmes
30-08-2018, 11:25 AM
I decided to remove the throttle valve yesterday, as my other sons Passat ( 100k miles ) had problems with this caused by the EGR that discharges just above it on the inlet stub.

The throttle valve in the Tiguan ( 85k miles ) was completely covered in soot which must have been interfering with the butterfly operation.
I would say it was 50% blocked with carbon.
There was also thick carbon in the inlet stub for about 3 inches where the EGR pipe discharges, this I also removed as best as possible with screwdrivers

I cleaned the throttle valve out with some degreaser, it was much easier to clean than the Passat one had been, that was baked on hard.
The Tiguan valve carbon was soft & easily removed with a screwdriver & old toothbrush.

Time will tell if this has cured the problem, but i'm sure the engine will be breathing much better now anyway.