PDA

View Full Version : cam belt chain tensioner on seat ibiza

Dave Ridley
04-11-2007, 10:36 AM
I understand that the cam belt on my 1.2 Seat Ibiza does not need to be changed at 60000 miles, as it is operated by a chain.
Can anyone tell me if the chain TENSIONER has to be changed?
Dave Ridley

adamss24
04-11-2007, 10:17 PM
If the timing is driven by a chain, then, there is no cam belt and tensioner ! Chains and tensioners require no maintenance and they get really noisy before they go. Would you post engine code and year and i will tell you exactly what you have !

Dave Ridley
05-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Unfortunately all the details regarding the car are inside the car stuck in a garage. two garages have been unable to diagnose the problem and the car will not start. It is a 1.2 S registered in 04/02 and the engine number according to the sales invoice is AZ0044716.

When it failed to start it made an almighty roaring noise and a neighbour who heard thought it was the cam belt. Two AA patrolmen who turned up said it was unlikely to be the belt as 'it was on a chain'. The first garage we took it to mentioned to us that they had heard that the tensioner sometimes fails which is why I asked the question originally. Since then a VW dealer has looked at it and they too have been unable to diagnose the problem. We are about to have it towed to a third garage!

I hope this provides enough information for you to help. Thankyou for your interest.
Dave

Dave Ridley
06-11-2007, 08:40 PM
I have just realised, havinfg tried to read the scrawl on the sales invoice that the engine code must be AZQ.
Does that help identify the correct engine?

DFMM
28-05-2008, 05:41 AM
These 1.2L VW engines DO have a reputation for breaking the chain, bending valves, unless you catch it at the noisy stage, when the plastic chain guides and tensioners still havn't let the chain jump sprockets.
There is a revised kit of parts, for upgrading to a more reliable set of 3 sprockets/a plastic guide for the RHS of the chain/a plastic tensioner moulding for the LHS of the chain/pushed to the right at the bottom by a hydraulic capsule like those in the cylinder head. £300 covers the job, but not including bent valve repairs. ( 4 hours for the chain kit fitting alone, included in costing).
:beerchug: