PDA

View Full Version : Pulsating sound from exhaust

newbietregger
26-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Hi all,

This is my first Touareg and I've got a V6 Altitude on an 06 plate and i've had the Exhaust - Workshop warning light come on and noticed a "pulsating" sound from the back box, i'ts doing this when driving AND idling ? is this more than likely the back box itself ? I've replace numerous exhausts when they've failed at MOT (i.e being told which bit is faulty) but not needed to diagnose it myself ?

Thanks

Crasher
27-08-2018, 05:05 PM
At that age there is no way it needs a new exhaust, modern VAG exhausts seem to last forever, but you need to get it code read to see why the engine warning light is on, it is possibly a failed injector which is common on these engines.

newbietregger
27-08-2018, 08:05 PM
Could a failed injector cause the pulsating sound from the rear then ?
I've got a cheap ODB reader and used Dash Command and it's given me code P2112 Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Closed ? Could it be that the exhaust is fine (as you've said) but it's throttling incorrectly in which case that would account for the "pulsating sound" possibly ?

Crasher
28-08-2018, 01:10 PM
Difficult to tell without a proper code read and some time spent looking at measuring block info such as injector balances.

newbietregger
28-08-2018, 09:01 PM
Right, thanks

newbietregger
04-09-2018, 08:04 PM
Just to close this...........i opened the throttle body and found the plastic cogs worn.....i got a repair kit off ebay and fitted it and the sound is now gone....throttle response seems better again as well.