PDA

View Full Version : Incontinent 3.0 diesel

vstevenson
21-08-2018, 09:45 PM
Just had a sudden coolant loss immediately on start up, frothing out from under the firewall area somewhere....any ideas anyone?

A55
21-08-2018, 09:51 PM
frothing out from under the firewall area somewhere.. just a wee bit vague????:aargh4: where is it comming from -top bottom midlle left right-so on an so forth !!!! a pick might not go a miss eh !!!------on start up--was car warm-hot too start with ?? cause I find it hard to accept it do it from cold as there be no pressure in the system cold !!!

vstevenson
22-08-2018, 06:39 AM
The scenario: My younger sons car. He is away with the Military and has left his Phaeton at his big brothers house while he is away. Elder son decides to do him a favour and take it round the block to help avoid any ‘stood too long’ issues. He starts it up, reverses out of its place only to see a trail of liquid on the ground in front of him - having been initially alerted to look for something by ‘ a funny noise’. ( his best description). He pulls back in to park then rings me - at 9pm. I jump in my truck to go over to his and yes indeed there is what appears to be frothy coolant quickly dripping out from the area between engine and firewall however the car being low to the ground and with undertray in place it is impossible to see where it is coming from or even get pics. Nothing untoward can be seen from above after pulling off the engine cover, especially in the evening gloom.I was kind of hoping that someone familiar with the model would point me towards known failure points, EGR cooler maybe or perhaps the thermostat housing which is made of plastic I believe.if I could see where it was coming from I would know what had failed..

vstevenson
22-08-2018, 10:16 AM
Went round this morning, daylight reveals that it is power steering fluid (which is green on these cars)....however the red coolant is below minimum also but that will be down to neglect....kids eh?.
Booked in to Sandys at Morpeth ( the ex Jocks Garage guy) so crisis over👍