PDA

View Full Version : Rear brakes rubbing after new discs and pads??

Riknos
21-07-2018, 01:13 PM
Hi all. I have a B5.5 TDI 100. I had some warped rear discs so got new discs and pads fitted. I wound the rear pistons back in fully and when fitting the pads cleaned and greased the sliders. Also took the slider bolts out and cleaned and greased them and checked for movement and they could be moved off the discs by hand.

This was 2 weeks ago and since applying the brakes the first time there is a constant scraping on both wheels as if the pads are constantly on. I can take the calipers off push them off the discs re assemble the wheels and then after a braking session it’s badk to where it was.

Any ideas??? This happened shortly after I did an emergency stop and had the abs cut in. Are the rear calipers potentionally stuck on and new ones needed?

I’ve seen some rear calipers on eBay for £30 each but that seems too cheap for them to be any good surely?

Thanks

Riknos
23-07-2018, 04:10 PM
Hi all. I have a B5.5 TDI 100. I had some warped rear discs so got new discs and pads fitted. I wound the rear pistons back in fully and when fitting the pads cleaned and greased the sliders. Also took the slider bolts out and cleaned and greased them and checked for movement and they could be moved off the discs by hand.

This was 2 weeks ago and since applying the brakes the first time there is a constant scraping on both wheels as if the pads are constantly on. I can take the calipers off push them off the discs re assemble the wheels and then after a braking session it’s badk to where it was.

Any ideas??? This happened shortly after I did an emergency stop and had the abs cut in. Are the rear calipers potentionally stuck on and new ones needed?

I’ve seen some rear calipers on eBay for £30 each but that seems too cheap for them to be any good surely?

Thanks

Just a quick update on this, for anyone finding this post in a few years time and hate these things going unresolved:

Disconnected handbrake cables - no difference, rules out handbrake
pushed pistons all the way out - no corrosion, seemed fine, lubed them up with some brake fluid anyway
Filed the **** out of the caliper carrier slider surfaces that come into contact with the pads (pads were already filed), and caked them in copper grease - this worked!