PDA

View Full Version : AMI help

theINSKIP
13-06-2018, 01:39 PM
Hi

After reading through pages of AMI info, i am confused as ever.

I bought a used A4 (B8 - 2009) last week and assumed it had an AMI input in the glove box. Unfortunately it didn't. In fact, it has nothing in the glove box part from a spare key holder !

My MMI unit is a 2g high. It has a 6 cd changer in the dash and the control unit around the gears. The DVD sat nav lives in the boot.

From searching around google/youtube/various form's i can't find this combination to gather info about what i need to add an AMI socket to the car.

Do i need the full AMI unit and splitter to the back of the 6 cd changer in the dash, OR am i able to get a AMI cable, and cut a hole for it in the side of the glove box.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gunnark100
13-06-2018, 02:10 PM
you need "full" oem ami unit for mmi 2g or aftermarket ami kit!

chrishamer
13-06-2018, 02:27 PM
What Gunnark said is spot on, they don't come with AMI - especially the early ones if it's 2G...

I was looking into it when buying my A4 a few years ago and as it was a bit of a faff getting it retrofitted waited for one that already had it - if I remember correctly prices were about £450 for a full retrofit installed.

theINSKIP
13-06-2018, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. At least i know which direction to go in now.

Im guessing the unit will come with loom splitters, that just go in the rear of the in dash 6 cd changer ? Is it a case of plug and play at that point and the AMi will appear in the source menu automatically ?

I have seen a few 'used' ami units on ebay, but there are a few different types of units. Most of them are advised for 3G not 2G. Will it matter, or is that just me being hope full.

chrishamer
13-06-2018, 02:50 PM
I'm pretty sure that the 2G and 3G system are totally different so not interchangeable.

With 2G I think the AMI unit goes in the glove box and does connect to the back of the CD changer - but not 100% sure as I have a 2012 model which is a bit of a different setup - hopefully, someone with more knowledge can help.

theINSKIP
14-06-2018, 04:09 PM
I've been searching and i think for the MMI 2g high, its the 4E057785F AMI unit that may be required.

But I've seen quiet a few AMI units for sale without the F at the end, just 4E057785.

Does anyone know if these will be compatible ?

Gunnark100
14-06-2018, 04:24 PM
Without suffix are probably early units from a8 and a6, they probably work, but I will not recommend those old units. So,
4E0 035 785 B ,D or F.