PDA

View Full Version : GT TDI CUTTING OUT

skelldoon
26-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Hi there!!
Never used anything like this before but looks like it may be useful!!
We have a Golf 1.9 GT TDI on an S plate. Bought it second hand and it's been fine, we like the car, except it has a tendancy to cut out completely, usually on the motorway and at high speed! Obviously this is a bit of a problem and it's quite dangerous.
Power loss is complete. No spluttering or anything. When I try to re-start initially the glow plug warning light does not illuminate and it does not fire at all. After anything between 30 secs and five mins the light comes back on and the car fires up no problem.
I have read the forum with interest and similar faults seem to be attributed to the '109' relay. Can anyone confirm this is the case?
Many, many, many many thanks:aargh4:

devonutopia
26-08-2006, 10:41 PM
I would get vag com hooked up for some fault code reading. There's a few things that could just kill the turbo, but for the whole car to just turn off? That sounds a little more serious.

carelectrician.co.uk
26-08-2006, 11:59 PM
If it is a power failure due to the 109 or 30 (if fitted) relay then there will not be any fault codes to read because either of these relays commonly causes exactly the fault you describe and because the power is missing to the ECU it can't record fault codes!

skelldoon
27-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the advice,
Having looked at previous threads on the forum a few others describe the same fault rectified by changing the 109, which leads me onto the next question - where on earth is it

carelectrician.co.uk
27-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Relay is on relay plate above fuses, above your right leg when sitting in driver seat.

skelldoon
27-08-2006, 12:20 PM
:biglaugh: Thanks, I'll take a look tomorrow if I'm not too hung over!!