PDA

View Full Version : A3 TDI Warm Weather starting problem

Devilon
19-04-2018, 05:07 PM
Here's a strange on for you, I have a Audi A3 1.6 Tdi 2013, in cold weather the car starts with no issues but in any warm weather it takes a good few turns until it starts.
Last year the engine management light came on, and this was fixed by a local garage by having 4 new glow plugs installed, but since then the starting problems started.
I do not want to take it back to the original garage as I feel that they messed it up first time and don't intend giving them anymore of my money.

But before I take it to another garage, has anyone had this issue themselves or does anyone no of a reason why my car is doing this.

And Thanks if anyone can help me out. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Rob69
19-04-2018, 08:20 PM
what about starting when the engine is already hot? does it start straight away or take some cranking. You should get it scanned with VCDS or other decent diagnostic package as there may be a temperature sensor reading incorrectly and fooling the ECU into thinking the engine is hotter than it actually is. Not sure how the engine management light can be cured by fitting new glow plugs either, in those 1.6 engines the EML seems to signify EGR or cooler problems.

Devilon
19-04-2018, 09:42 PM
what about starting when the engine is already hot? does it start straight away or take some cranking. You should get it scanned with VCDS or other decent diagnostic package as there may be a temperature sensor reading incorrectly and fooling the ECU into thinking the engine is hotter than it actually is. Not sure how the engine management light can be cured by fitting new glow plugs either, in those 1.6 engines the EML seems to signify EGR or cooler problems.

No this is when starting the engine while it has been rested in warm weather, when the engine has been running and hot it starts with no issue.
I have been having a look at various other forums and they have mentioned it could either be the temp sensor or it may need a remapping of the ECU fuel map, because not enough diesel is being delivered to start the engine straight away.

As for the engine management light being cured by new glow plugs, this was what I was told my the garage, and this was the fault appearing with their diagnostic equipment they were using, so I was told.
Whether they were right or not, or the car just needed some fault resetting the engine management light has not appeared again after a year of running.