PDA

View Full Version : Speed sensitive steering - are UK dealers willing to adjust?

orangezorki
01-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Hello all,

I think the title really says it all. I have a SEL 170 DSG on order, and the cars I've test driven go round corners well, but the steering is very, very light. I'ver heard that, as the speed sensitive steering is all electric and controlled by the car's computer, you can set it to be a bit firmer.

Does anyone know if my dealer, or the average UK dealer will be able to do this? I know they will have to access the settings to set the service intervals to yearly (I do relatively low milage, living in London). Also, are there any concerns with meddling with this setting? I'm buying it to replace a two year old Toyota that goes clonk when I steer left, so I don't want to be creating any new steering problems with a car I can't afford to replace!

Thanks for any wisdom in advance,

David.

a8 tech
01-11-2007, 09:19 PM
what model

orangezorki
01-11-2007, 09:21 PM
what model

I'm waiting for a new Passat B6 saloon SEL TDI 170 DSG, sports pack, and a host of other options I really can't afford!:D

arctic blue
01-11-2007, 09:31 PM
difficulty maintaining lane position on the motorway is my problem. you need to make constant minor adjustments to keep car on driving line.
round town and main roads not so evident. i noticed how light steering was on delivery. previous car was touran and had was no problem

car booked into dealers, awaiting results.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=213

a8 tech
01-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Refer to dealer for alteration to the steering assist code.

Santana
02-11-2007, 12:47 AM
"car booked into dealers, awaiting results."

I must say I'm very interested in the outcome of this work as I've said (in another thread) I've got exactly the same complaint. As I understand it there are six levels of steering assist, so it would be good to find out a) what it was set at originally, b) what they set it to, and c) of course, what you think of the result.
Hope it goes well!

orangezorki
02-11-2007, 11:11 AM
I must say I'm very interested in the outcome of this work as I've said (in another thread) I've got exactly the same complaint. As I understand it there are six levels of steering assist, so it would be good to find out a) what it was set at originally, b) what they set it to, and c) of course, what you think of the result.
Hope it goes well!

What I've seen on other forums is that it is factory set to 5, and the people are reporting improvements when it is set to 3.

David.

Santana
11-12-2007, 10:59 PM
difficulty maintaining lane position on the motorway is my problem ... car booked into dealers, awaiting results.

Arctic, did it fix the problem?

arctic blue
13-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Arctic, did it fix the problem?
dealer said no fault found - and as far as they are aware no adjjustment. maybe its just the fact i was used to a touran and the passat is totally different set up.

Quatrelle
13-12-2007, 11:58 AM
dealer said no fault found - and as far as they are aware no adjjustment.How very reassuring, especially in view of some of the posts on this thread :(. Perhaps you should ask them to phone VW in your presence - or try another dealer. Have you had any other dealings (good/bad) with them?

Santana
13-12-2007, 08:06 PM
maybe its just the fact i was used to a touran and the passat is totally different set up.

Maybe, but I think the Passat B6 steering has a problem. This "dead feeling when straight ahead" has been mentioned in a number of car reviews and by others on this forum. Some people are more sensitive to it than others.

I've read somewhere that the Steering Assist code for 07 Passats has a password on it so is either difficult (or impossible?) to change. But who knows, when all a dealer say can say is, "no fault found".

arctic blue
13-12-2007, 09:48 PM
dealer ok . no complaints

domestos
19-12-2007, 01:50 AM
I have the same complaint. Straight line driving on motorways I am constantly feeling that car is going of centre and have to do lots of minor adjustments, how when conering at the same speed it sticks like glue.

Originally thought it might be worn tyres, but fitted four brand new Dunlop Sport 01's and the problem persists. Not been to the dealer with the issue, but I have a good relationship with them do might mention it next time I take the car in.

I did notice a slight improvment by letting some air out of the tyres so they were softer... dangerous i know, but if felt tighter.