PDA

View Full Version : 4 motion spare wheel

hudson0804
13-04-2018, 08:42 AM
Hi Folks,

I was wondering what my options are for a spare wheel on my 2015 4motion estate?

Is it a can of instant fix, a full size alloy spare, a space saver or nothing at all and call a tow truck?

Thanks
H

jimgironde
13-04-2018, 09:50 AM
Hi Folks,

I was wondering what my options are for a spare wheel on my 2015 4motion estate?

Is it a can of instant fix, a full size alloy spare, a space saver or nothing at all and call a tow truck?

Thanks
H

I think it is down to personal preference.

When I purchased my GT Estate 18 months ago, all the cars on my short list had full size spares because that what I wanted.

Some people are happy with the can of instant fix, but I guess that is because they are being pushed down that route by the manufacturers.

Other people switch to run flats but that is an initial large expense.

If you go for a spare, whether it is full size or space saver, what are your storage options on the 4motion estate?

hudson0804
13-04-2018, 10:13 AM
In the boot is a wheel well large enough for a full size. My question was more around the fact that you shouldn't have different sized wheels on a 4 wheeler which made me instantly think a space saver is a no no.

jimgironde
13-04-2018, 10:59 AM
In the boot is a wheel well large enough for a full size. My question was more around the fact that you shouldn't have different sized wheels on a 4 wheeler which made me instantly think a space saver is a no no.

In that case I would go for the full size spare for peace of mind. You don't need the space saver because you have room for the full size.

If cost is the driver I would still go for the full size spare and when it comes to purchase new tyres I would then use one of the worn tyres as the spare so that you are only buying 3 instead of 4 thus reducing the cost.

Frank Bullitt
13-04-2018, 01:35 PM
In the UK the GT 4 Motion comes with a full size spare (like other GT models) and the R-Line 4 Motion comes with a space saver (like other R-Line) models so you can have either on a 4 Motion, the different size of the spare doesn’t seem to cause an issue. This may be (and I am only guessing) that it has a different rolling radius and as such the ABS sensors pick this up and turn the car into 2wd only; the space saver on my old Citroën DS4 had a smaller rolling radius and the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree as all the stability and ABS system disengaged as it thought there was a fault with one wheel continually rotating quicker that it couldn’t rectify.

It is worth noting that with a full size spare the boot floor doesn’t drop to its lowest level which reduces capacity a little but to me (I tow a caravan) the full size spare makes this a price worth paying.

hudson0804
14-04-2018, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the info.

I wonder if if anyone knew the part number for this spare wheel. I’m going to speak with the dealer first as the car has all of the spare wheel sets apart from the wheel. See if I can blag myself one.

If not id like the number to order one

thanks

h

Wendy Show
02-05-2018, 06:23 AM
Check out this article bro! This might help! 403 Forbidden (http://thegeorgeandwendyshow.com/choosing-the-right-tires/)