PDA

View Full Version : Question Insurance & MPG Tuning

BigMcCann
14-03-2018, 08:23 PM
So have been considering venturing to a reputable local remapping garage to get better performance from my Audi a3 1.9 tdi 2007 (105bhp, 8p, BXE engine code)

My only worry is that of insurance. Do insurance companys check for ECU modifications if or when claiming?

Better yet is it worth doing on this car? From my research i could gain 20-30 bhp, as well as better fuel economy. Thanks!

Rob69
14-03-2018, 09:00 PM
There is a thing with BXE engines about big end bearing failure and chucking a rod out of the crankcase, do some research into that before pushing an older engine any harder. IMHO I wouldn't bother remapping it.
I would expect that an undeclared modification to the car would invalidate any insurance and they would not pay out on a claim, others here may know different though.

Gazwould
15-03-2018, 07:50 AM
As above , the mpg claims when remapping can be quite false , normally no mpg change or a just a few . Dpf deletes and remapping do yield mpg gains as back pressure is reduced .

Tuning boxes also give false mpg gains as they fool a fuel temp sensor and the extra fuel isn't calculated by the ecu .