PDA

View Full Version : Time to start the C8 thread?

Johnny31
27-02-2018, 09:00 PM
2018 Audi A6: images leak online ahead of official showing | Autocar (https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/2018-audi-a6-images-leak-online-ahead-official-showing)

I must say that I was expecting a bit more difference...

Sent from my mobile...

Tomo1971
27-02-2018, 09:12 PM
Having just ordered a new C6 version, I am quite glad there is still some similarities!

Whippy53
27-02-2018, 10:11 PM
Having just ordered a new C6 version, I am quite glad there is still some similarities!

Clever trick.

Whippy53
27-02-2018, 10:13 PM
Apart from stylistic details mainly at the front, it's not too dissimilar from the current model. The big changes will be in the interior and available tech.

AT.
27-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Honestly I don't have the feeling that I have a must to have it.

Tomo1971
27-02-2018, 10:37 PM
Clever trick.

I wished it was....more like stupid sausage fingers!!

Of course I did mean ordered a new C7.

I shall get my coat!

NewAudi
27-02-2018, 10:44 PM
These pics have been circulated here in Germany before.....inside should look like new A7 and A8.

Wonder how the new S6 engine will be like....my guess is 460-470bhp.

ukgroucho
28-02-2018, 02:01 AM
Yes but V6 not V8.. although ZX box maybe.

Will have to see .

AT.
28-02-2018, 08:48 AM
inside should look like new A7 and A8.

I feel a little bit confused about the new touchscreen version of the buttons. IMHO as you can't feel the buttons with your fingers, so you have to look down to find the virtual button's position. I'm not sure it's better then the former MMI button related solutions. I want to drive a car and not to program a computer during driving.

wildbore
28-02-2018, 10:04 AM
Yes but V6 not V8.. although ZX box maybe.

Will have to see .

The new V8 that is fitted to the Panamera is a joint Porsche / Audi development project. And Audi hasn't made use of that engine yet... (although it is due to go in the A8 this year) so I am at least expecting one final V8-engined RS6 before we all go electric in the C9. Hopefully the S6 will still be V8-engined, too.

wildbore
28-02-2018, 10:23 AM
I feel a little bit confused about the new touchscreen version of the buttons. IMHO as you can't feel the buttons with your fingers, so you have to look down to find the virtual button's position. I'm not sure it's better then the former MMI button related solutions. I want to drive a car and not to program a computer during driving.

I work on MMI systems as part of my job (for VW group, actually); I honestly don't think anyone in the industry wants to fit touchscreens, either; there is no possible way it can be argued that they are better from a driver's point of view than proper buttons. But their uptake is being driven by the huge amounts of tech that is now fitted to cars (too much to manage using buttons, plus it allows for new tech to be added partway through a platform's lifecycle without re-engineering the interior and the wiring) and it's also being driven by Apple and Google, who are aggressively pushing their car connectivity, which is also being demanded by drivers, too (so the manufacturers are getting it from both sides). You have to have a touchscreen to have a meaningful experience using Apple CarPlay or Google Android Auto.

The saving grace for all this new tech is that voice control is getting substantially better with each iteration, meaning that the need to physically touch buttons and scroll lists is reducing. All your media can now (in the C8) be effortlessly accessed by voice, and - really - what else do you ever use the MMI for once the car is on the move? Even in my C7 I use voice for all navigation interaction and using the telephone and, with automatic climate, I can't even remember when I last touched the heating controls, apart from defrost and seat heating.

ukgroucho
28-02-2018, 11:26 AM
The new V8 that is fitted to the Panamera is a joint Porsche / Audi development project. And Audi hasn't made use of that engine yet... (although it is due to go in the A8 this year) so I am at least expecting one final V8-engined RS6 before we all go electric in the C9. Hopefully the S6 will still be V8-engined, too.

Everything I've seen suggests the C8 S6 will be the 2.9 V6 TFsi twin-turbo from the RS5... RS6 will still be V8

Akash
28-02-2018, 12:04 PM
So in short, wait 6-7 months while someone works out how to port across the new MMI system into the C7/C7.5, and we have a C8

Whippy53
28-02-2018, 12:40 PM
I give it three months before before we get someone posting ' has anybody fitted a front bumper from a c8 onto their c7?'

istate75
28-02-2018, 02:11 PM
This review has just been posted of the new C8 in whatcar. I'm not sure about the interior TBH. I think I prefer the dash layout of my C7.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/audi-a6/ (http://www.whatcar.com/news/audi-a6/)

A6S
28-02-2018, 02:23 PM
Not too keen on the look. Looks a bit like a stretched a3 saloon. Still not a fan of the fake exhaust tips either. Prefer real exhaust sticking out the rear valance.
Must be my age but I prefer buttons to touch screens. Can’t stand greasy paw print on a screen.
It doesn’t shout I want one now.

Johnny31
28-02-2018, 02:37 PM
Not too keen on the look. Looks a bit like a stretched a3 saloon. Still not a fan of the fake exhaust tips either. Prefer real exhaust sticking out the rear valance.
Must be my age but I prefer buttons to touch screens. Can’t stand greasy paw print on a screen.
It doesn’t shout I want one now.Fully agree. I'm actually test driving SQ5 to replace my Avant.
BTW the fake "pipes" on that one are remediated by ABT already - bless them... :)

Sent from my mobile...

AT.
28-02-2018, 05:59 PM
First of all, thank you for these detailed information. This is a nice to know thing, that the two mobile tech giant can force even a VW scaled company to obey their needs. It sounds like a future, which I will not like at all.

Your view is very interesting, but I still have some concerns about your opinion.

All your media can now (in the C8) be effortlessly accessed by voice, and - really - what else do you ever use the MMI for once the car is on the move?

First of all, all these features are available in the most common languages on Earth. However this is not true for the minority languages. Even if I can speak english or german a little bit, but these are useless if I try to explain a street's or person's name in hungarian. Believe me, it's a nightmare, it's totally useless. By this, I never use the voice recognition system. I prefer the touchpad, it's a perfect thing. Which seems to be missing form this interior!

IMHO, now I understand why BMW is experimenting with the hand gestures. They know, that the touchscreen solutions are very dangerous and useless in a car, so they intend to offer an alternative way. So these features are not benefits but these are trials to correct the ideologically faulty system.

with automatic climate, I can't even remember when I last touched the heating controls, apart from defrost and seat heating.

I'm with you about it. I have the manual selector clima unit panel, and I like it more then the former digital version. I never use it. It's an A6, so there is no reason to change the temperature during driving. It was set to 23°C, and that's all what I need. You are also right about the seat heating and the defrost, but there is another useful selection, the internal/external airflow selector. And I want to select this without to look down and to search for the virtual button area.

However, these are all minor thingswhich you can get used to. My major problem with this internal look is, that I miss the MMI panel from the driver's hand area. Why it was removed? What's the advantage to put an empty area there? Do I have to really touch the screen to select something? I had to do this in a C8, while I have a far easier way in my C7? Honestly, my arms are not very long, so it will be a torture for me to try to select anything on the upper screen.

For me, this internal design definitely looks like a real fashion modell, a fashion guru's gorgeous dress, something that looks amazing on the stage, but you will never ever pick it up for a weekday.

With this design, for me, this car looks like a downgrade to a medium class car with the same setup with the touchscreens... it's look futuristic, very elegant, far more trendy that the current one - only the heart, the MMI is missing which made the C7's MMI area unique.

So, I can understand the touchscreens. These are trendy thing, can be charged a lot if they will broke, so these are good things for the manufacturers. Well, let there be touchscreens. But why on Earth the removed the MMI panel from my hand area? Why they installed an entire luminating screen for the night against to some LED's?

I'm not sure it will be my preferred layout for a car. Fore a living room yes, definitely yes. Looks just perfect. But for a car? Which I will use? They did not win me yet, and I'm not sure they will win me if I will try this layout.

Thanks again for your information!

champakpopat
28-02-2018, 08:29 PM
Having seen the pics of C8, more like time to delay the start of C8 thread until further notice :)

Tomo1971
28-02-2018, 08:53 PM
I work on MMI systems as part of my job (for VW group, actually); I honestly don't think anyone in the industry wants to fit touchscreens, either; there is no possible way it can be argued that they are better from a driver's point of view than proper buttons. But their uptake is being driven by the huge amounts of tech that is now fitted to cars (too much to manage using buttons, plus it allows for new tech to be added partway through a platform's lifecycle without re-engineering the interior and the wiring) and it's also being driven by Apple and Google, who are aggressively pushing their car connectivity, which is also being demanded by drivers, too (so the manufacturers are getting it from both sides). You have to have a touchscreen to have a meaningful experience using Apple CarPlay or Google Android Auto.

The saving grace for all this new tech is that voice control is getting substantially better with each iteration, meaning that the need to physically touch buttons and scroll lists is reducing. All your media can now (in the C8) be effortlessly accessed by voice, and - really - what else do you ever use the MMI for once the car is on the move? Even in my C7 I use voice for all navigation interaction and using the telephone and, with automatic climate, I can't even remember when I last touched the heating controls, apart from defrost and seat heating.

I agree that touch screens are not great on cars - you have to look at your finger to see where it is touching. At least with buttons you can feel it and the level of control.

NewAudi
28-02-2018, 08:54 PM
I quite like it, but need to see it in the flesh. The new A7 I have already seen and looks fantastic! So much better in the flesh that on pics.

However, all these touchscreens....well, lets just say that the jury is still out on that one! Have had a play in the new A8 with all these svreens and it leave fingerprints like no end tomorrow (dealer hates them as the seem to spend more time polishing than selling) and of course using gloves is not possible. But Audi is late in the game with these touchscreens....Volvo has had them for years and when its really cold, like now (-11C) I do wonder how the work? Hopefully better than in my rental XC90 in Sweden at only -4C!

ukgroucho
01-03-2018, 10:28 AM
You can use gloves... you can buy gloves with touchscreen compatible finger tips for skiing, motorcycling etc.
But would you really want to wear gloves in warm weather...

Whippy53
01-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Not at all convinced, I think for the time being ill I'll stick with MMI 'classic' if that's ok?

Allroad_2013
01-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Don't you make your driver wear gloves?

nevbadger99
01-03-2018, 09:33 PM
I'm glad my C7 doesn't have a touch screen, the MMI scroll wheel and buttons are spot on as far as I am concerned. Every touch screen car I have driven I fell out with.

NewAudi
01-03-2018, 10:02 PM
I'm glad my C7 doesn't have a touch screen, the MMI scroll wheel and buttons are spot on as far as I am concerned. Every touch screen car I have driven I fell out with.

Agree. It works great!

Novica
01-03-2018, 10:35 PM
Looks OK from outside, but inside is I expected more personality. The screen is too low for my opinion, better on C7 (or even C6) in line with instrument cluster. Air-condition vents with lines which are prolonged remind me on new Passat. And on the end, fake exhaust pipes, I hate them, not only on Audi, on every new car and I do not expect these things on cars this class and that price (obviously high).

robbyg
02-03-2018, 06:50 PM
I am reserving judgement. The looks are fine, the A6 was never a car i bought for looks, i like how it isnt too shouty.
I was planning holding onto my A6 C7 until this new one came out with a 4.0V8 diesel as in the SQ7. However the estate is always later out than the saloon, the diesel V8 might never come, and i wasn't keen on the touchscreen lark when i tested a new panamera, and on my wifes golf it annoys me i have to look at it to work it. Unsafe.
So i bought another C7 with real buttons i dont have to look down for, and used the massive savings available on these end of line models to treat myself to the S6 instead. This should see me 3 years into the C8 once the bugs are ironed out, then i will re think.
Voice control is a good point, it used to be laughable but if they can get near google or alexa it should be fine.

Whippy53
02-03-2018, 10:15 PM
If screens are your thing then the new Volvo S90 is a better choice. Cheaper and better equipped although limited to a 2.0ltr.

NewAudi
02-03-2018, 11:14 PM
If screens are your thing then the new Volvo S90 is a better choice. Cheaper and better equipped although limited to a 2.0ltr.

Although with the T6 or T8 engine option has either over 300bhp or 400bhp!

Whippy53
02-03-2018, 11:51 PM
But then it's starting to get expensive, I was comparing apples with apples.

NewAudi
03-03-2018, 01:12 AM
I was looking at a V90 with everything. Almost as expensive as an A6 Avant with most options. Lease price, not much between them so it all came down to the fact that the V90 had only 4-cyl and the A6 6-cyl engine....

johnsimcox
11-04-2018, 11:10 AM
The Avant has now also been announced 2018 Audi A6 Avant revealed with 'dramatic' new look | Autocar (https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2018-audi-a6-avant-revealed-dramatic-new-look). Not sure I see the "dramatic" part of the look. Perhaps it looks more dramatic in the flesh. Seems, from this article and also if you look at the audi.de website where the C8 saloon is in their configurator, initial versions of the C8 will be 3.0 Diesel and Petrol only, badged "55". As the majoprity of A6s in the UK are 2.0TDi versions it may be some time before we start to see the new cars in the UK in any numbers

Goatistuta
11-04-2018, 12:33 PM
The Avant has now also been announced 2018 Audi A6 Avant revealed with 'dramatic' new look | Autocar (https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2018-audi-a6-avant-revealed-dramatic-new-look). Not sure I see the "dramatic" part of the look. Perhaps it looks more dramatic in the flesh. Seems, from this article and also if you look at the audi.de website where the C8 saloon is in their configurator, initial versions of the C8 will be 3.0 Diesel and Petrol only, badged "55". As the majoprity of A6s in the UK are 2.0TDi versions it may be some time before we start to see the new cars in the UK in any numbers

I’ve been waiting a few months to see what the C8 is going to offer before replacing my C7. I had a look at an A7 in the showroom and whilst it looks good, didn’t like the new touchscreen MMI (which I assume is going to be replicated in the C8), so rather than waiting for the C8 I’ve taken the plunge and ordered a new Q5 as the factory lead time has now dropped from 6 months to ‘3-4 months’. The interior is really nice and has buttons and knobs rather than the touch screen. All the goodies I’ve got on my A6 as part of the advanced technology pack have to be ordered separately on the Q5 so the costs quickly add up, but saying that I haven’t seen the prices on the C8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tripletrouble
11-04-2018, 01:06 PM
I had a play on the Audi Germany website and it's really easy to get the new C8 upwards of €70 000 on the configurator. I have to say, I really do not like the interior of it one bit.
I guess it's a Merc or Volvo for me next.

A6S
11-04-2018, 01:43 PM
I guess it's a Merc or Volvo for me next.

I’ve been looking at these as well. Had a shot of the xc60 and the interior is really nice. New e class with the dual screens dash is nice too.
Options are very pricey in both.

Whippy53
11-04-2018, 04:37 PM
I’ve been looking at these as well. Had a shot of the xc60 and the interior is really nice. New e class with the dual screens dash is nice too.
Options are very pricey in both.
Ive just looked at an s90, add in metallic and 360 camera and its still under £40k.

A6S
11-04-2018, 05:46 PM
The s90 interior is lovely. I’m just not that keen on the outside. Think the Volvo suvs looks better on the outside.

NewAudi
12-04-2018, 10:16 PM
Looking forward seeing the new C8 in the flesh, but my intial reaction on seeing the pics of the Avant is that it looks a bit like a mix between Bmw and Passat at the rear. Touchscreens I have already had a play at in the new A8 and its no better or worse than in any of the new Volvo’s. Its the future so I would expect that in most cars of this class, and lower too.

As a side note, I do really love the look of the Volvo’s, especially so of the new V90. Its huge!

AT.
12-04-2018, 10:39 PM
Its the future so I would expect that in most cars of this class, and lower too.

I'm afraid of it too.

I wonder, will Audi drop the MMI buttons from the Q7/FL too, or they will reapply it for the C8/FL?

NewAudi
12-04-2018, 10:53 PM
I'm afraid of it too.

I wonder, will Audi drop the MMI buttons from the Q7/FL too, or they will reapply it for the C8/FL?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the are gone once the Q7 gets a facelift.

Tbh I love the handwriting thing on the current car, new one has it too. One thing I didnt try was the zooming function of the navigation system. But I think it works the same way as in the Volvo’s, ie same as on an iPad/iPhone etc, two fingers. Works pretty good and IMO better than the current system.

A6S
12-04-2018, 11:09 PM
Tbh I love the handwriting thing on the current car, new one has it too. One thing I didnt try was the zooming function of the navigation system. But I think it works the same way as in the Volvo’s, ie same as on an iPad/iPhone etc, two fingers. Works pretty good and IMO better than the current system.

You must be a lefty or have a lhd.
In the U.K the handwriting pad thing like the big one on the q7 is great for a lefty but I’m right handed like most of the population so it’s not as slick trying to write with your left hand.

NewAudi
12-04-2018, 11:14 PM
You must be a lefty or have a lhd.
In the U.K the handwriting pad thing like the big one on the q7 is great for a lefty but I’m right handed like most of the population so it’s not as slick trying to write with your left hand.

Am righthanded and drive a LHD....moved to Germany a few years ago (from UK) so find it very easy. Although had rental RHD Volvos on more than one occasion and that wasnt as bad as one would think, being righthanded I mean.

A6S
13-04-2018, 08:35 AM
It’s one of those things that takes getting used to. Suppose with new system using voice control over physical controls it’s making the touchpad less used. Maybe the greasy fingerprint on those touchscreens won’t be an issue if we are gonna start yelling at the car instead. Hope they are better than Siri as my dodgy Scottish accent is hit and miss with these voice controls.

AT.
13-04-2018, 08:37 AM
IMHO it's a nightmare to use a touchscreen with your less smart fingers then to find a button with these.

AT.
13-04-2018, 08:40 AM
my dodgy Scottish accent is hit and miss with these voice controls.

And now try to imagine if you try to use this system with a less ordenary language... a real nightmare. An impossible mission. Honestly, I could understand a touchscreen as an option, but not to have the buttons and the MMI control area as an option is something that I can't understand. Of course I understand that this way they can spare on the invention of the sw, but they will loose the genuinity of the MMI. But, that's life :)

A6S
13-04-2018, 10:18 AM
The easy update thing is a big factor and potential to customise your own dash is the next. They essentially replaced the dash with a pc and if it breaks they can load new software/firmware on it to fix it rather than replace half the dash. Also gives them the ability to sell updates at a later stage. Like how Apple car play at the moment on the c7 can be bought at £250 after you buy the car.
Like all has said. A physical button is easy to use but the younger generation has grown up with touchscreens and no buttons might not want buttons. The market is to attract the younger generation and not the oldies in the hope the young will grow loyalty to the brand as they age. That’s why they have all sizes and budgets to suit all so as they age they keep buying the more expensive models.

AT.
13-04-2018, 10:09 PM
A physical button is easy to use but the younger generation has grown up with touchscreens and no buttons might not want buttons.

Even if I could agree with you on this, I still don't understand why they drop the touchpad. IMHO that can't be treated as an old fashioned thing :)

A6S
14-04-2018, 01:33 AM
Even if I could agree with you on this, I still don't understand why they drop the touchpad. IMHO that can't be treated as an old fashioned thing :)

Touchpad is old school now😄. It’s all about voice control now, Siri, Alexa and all that crap, that’s why the touchpad was ditched.

wildbore
14-04-2018, 08:00 AM
Touchpad is old school now. It’s all about voice control now, Siri, Alexa and all that crap, that’s why the touchpad was ditched.

Agree. I only have the (fairly poor) Audi voice control in my car but I still use it over any other input method. I am left-handed but I doubt I have used the touchpad more than twice in 35000 miles. Just wish that Audi had updated the voice control at the face lift.

A6S
14-04-2018, 08:55 AM
Voice control in the A6 is not bad when I want it to dial my Mrs by wouldn’t want to be using voice to control everything heating,air con or navigation especially some of the weird names towns and cities have. I’ll end up talking to my car more than the wife 😄😄

stuart
14-04-2018, 08:58 AM
Now moved to the new C8 section

PLEASE let me know what other models/versions are missing.. :)

AT.
14-04-2018, 09:25 AM
Touchpad is old school now. It’s all about voice control now, Siri, Alexa and all that crap, that’s why the touchpad was ditched.

Well, there is really an advantage of this idea: Now I can look for an Arteon/Passat class car, as all have almost the same look in the interior area for a lot cheaper. Or I can still purchase an A4/Q7 which have the unique look of the MMI. If Audi wants this, I can live with it - but it seems to me, in a different car for the next time :)

A6S
17-04-2018, 09:24 PM
Now moved to the new C8 section

PLEASE let me know what other models/versions are missing.. :)

A7 c8 is missing 👍🏼

Johnny31
19-04-2018, 06:30 PM
Just realised: my post became the very first one in the brand new C8 section... :) #proud_moment (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=proud_moment)

Sent from my mobile...

Glasgow1
30-11-2018, 06:32 AM
Any one can give tutorial about connecting Android Auto.i am new to Audi .help will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk