PDA

View Full Version : T' Reg Passat flat spot when pulling out quickly

cozmicray
31-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Hi everyone glad to find this forum I've been having this problem for about a year now. What happens is if I want to pull out of a junction quickly my car seems to bog down, just dosen't give me the power needed. If I floor it then it picks up and it's off, but obviously I'm revving the **** off it. Its ok if you pull out slowly but thats not the point. I've been to VW with it, they inspected it can't remember what they did first time, next time they changed a pipe that they said was slightly perished. Said they would change the mass air flow meter if that didn't work but have run it with the mass air flow disconnected (unplugged the sensor) but it was still the same. Thought ******** not paying VW prices to let them play a guessing game, so had a mechanic friend have a look at it. He plugged in his computer and the error reads as follows " idle speed control valve upper limit reached" so reset it and tested it again a week later and the same fault is back. Would be grateful for any feedback especially if you have had a similar problem and managed to fix it. Or any suggestions as to how hard or easy it is to replace this valve, or if indeed it should be replaced?? Thanks in advance Ray :1zhelp:

Car= T Reg 1999 VW Passat
1.8 SE, Petrol

tatham
13-11-2007, 01:52 PM
What happens is if I want to pull out of a junction quickly my car seems to bog down, just dosen't give me the power needed.

Dunno if it's any help, but I had a roughly similar problem with an older (1995) Passat which no-one could diagnose. Is it intermittent, or started out intermittently? It turned out to be a dodgy ECU relay in my case. I was very grateful the help I received from another forum member. See the useful info in this post:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14792

cozmicray
13-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Cheers tatham I'll look into that, can't go worng at that price either, will post again with results, Regards Ray :D

cozmicray
23-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Right have bought the Ecu realy but cant find where it goes? I have removed the cover from a large black box under the bonnet of what I thought was part of the fuses from the top left corner (drivers side) but no rleay's there, only some large block connectors of different colours. And when I remove the fuse cover inside the car it only has the normal fuses for the lights, wipers, etc. Would be very grate if someone could point me in the right direction, thanks in advance, Ray

:Blush:

cozmicray
23-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Forgot MY CAR

Passat SE 1.8 20v
1999 T Reg
Petrol

tatham
24-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Right have bought the Ecu realy but cant find where it goes?

I'm afraid I'm no expert -- in my case it was one of the relays alongside the fuses inside the car.
Did you buy the part based on the part number only, or did they check which one you need for your car?

cozmicray
25-11-2007, 12:31 PM
mmm good question, I did give them both model and part number, but to be honest I don't know which they went off. On the receipt it gives the part number and description says it's a relay? After reading your post I took the fuse cover off again and when I look past the fuse box into the car, just below the steering wheel I can see 4 large relay's at least I think they are, they all have numbers on top, 267( pink) 372( white), 370( white) 204( black). I may even be able to get my hand in but I don't know which one it is as none have 30 on top like the replacement I bought has? Not sure if I have the wrong part now or not?

Regards Ray

cozmicray
25-11-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm an Idiot been posting in the wrong forum, ahh well help seem to have found me, sorry for **** up.

tatham
26-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Not sure if I have the wrong part now or not?

Sounds different to my car. Mine was dead easy, it was one of the very obvious relays. I got the relay from a local VW agent, giving the car details and asking for the ECU relay.

Does sound like the wrong part for your car. I'm afraid I can't really help.
Unless someone more knowledgeable responds, the only suggestion I have would be to try calling a VW agent, give the car details and ask them for a price for the ECU relay. They might be able to then give you more details about the part and where it goes?