PDA

View Full Version : Puddle Lights and courtesy lights not working

PerArdua
31-10-2007, 01:52 PM
I noticed last night that when the passenger door was opened in the dark the puddle lights and interior courtesy lights didn't come on, I have checked the bulbs etc and they work correctly from the drivers door. Rear doors don't work either. Where is the switch located to tell if the door is open as there is nothing in the pillar? Secondly could this be linked to my nearside lock issues.

Thanks in advance

PA

Crasher
31-10-2007, 02:46 PM
You need to have the convenience unit scanned on a fault code reading machine to see if there are any faults stored. It is also possible that the unit is full of water and also has external wiring issues as the box is under the passenger’s floor carpet and as Passat’s are prone to letting in water, they get drenched.

PerArdua
31-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Assuming all the problems are emanating from the CCU then is this going to be an expensive item to replace? Can you confirm which side of the car it is sited on as I may do a visual inspection first to see if there is any moisture in the area.

Thank you

PA

PerArdua
01-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Now the near side mirror has stopped moving independently although it still operates when the switch is set to the RH position which is spooky. So since joining this forum I need a new CCU, 2 new door locks, a new mirror switch and my diesel filter has begun to leak. The rear tyres need changing as well but that was before I joined. Thanks for the advice all those that passed it direct to me and elsewhere when I searched other entries with the same problem. Car is booked in at a good independent garage for a check over.

PA

carlo-S3
29-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Did you ever sort the courtesy lights problem? I have similar problem on my S3...

If so, dare I ask, was it expensive?

PerArdua
29-11-2007, 08:55 PM
I was told it was down to the locks. The microswitches that tell if the doors are open or closed have stuck, it is not worth buying new door locks just for the lights. The CCU is fine though with no faults. For interest I had the switch replaced for the electric mirrors and both mirrors still move when the switch is set to RH.

PA

screech
01-12-2007, 02:56 AM
Im also having a problem with this, when i open the drivers door, the puddle light flashes on, then off (same with the lil light on the dash), investigated more, the light works when the door is just open, but closed, if you know what i mean?
Any ideas.

cheers

hotrod09
15-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi everyone, this is EXACTLY what I have had on a 2000 Passat. I have been able to trace it to the cable tree being corroded in many places and am still hunting down some of the gremlins such as the windows not working for the first 5-10 minutes after setting of and the courtesy light not switching off for quite a while. The cable looms are pretty crappy. Solution seems to be heat shrinkable butt splices covered with adheasive lined shrink tube. Does the trick!