PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 A3 alternator tensioner pulley

A3gg
28-01-2018, 05:50 PM
Hi i believe my A3 1.6 engine code BLF (~95,000 miles) needs a new alternator.

First the battery light came on the dashboard when i started it up one morning and the heater would not work, then whilst driving the power steering was not working intermittently.

I parked it outside my house and returned to it a few days later with a voltmeter and turned off the battery had 12.5v across the terminals, but when turning the ignition it dropped down to almost 5v and the car wouldn't start. A friend gave me a jump start which worked fine and the battery voltage was around 13.5v with his car still connected to mine, but once we removed the jump leads the voltage started to decrease. It decreased even quicker when we turned on the radio, lights e.t.c. So the alternator isn't providing adequate charge for the battery and all the other electrical systems on the car, leading to me thinking i need to replace it (correct me if im wrong).

But i cant seem to find out how to release the tension from the alternator belt, i can see what i think is the tensioner pulley. It is pressing on the belt and has no groves for the belt to fit into, it seems to only be there to exert pressure on the belt. But it appears to be just a pulley, there is no metal block with a tab i can get a spanner on (like for the 2.0 engine) there is a 16mm bolt in the middle of the pulley but when i turn it i feel like im just undoing the bolt that holds the pulley on not moving it to release the tension.

If anyone knows how to do this it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Alan02
29-01-2018, 09:15 PM
I`d get your battery tested prior to doing anything with your alternator.