PDA

View Full Version : POLO - NEVER AGAIN

qedge
25-08-2006, 11:29 AM
I've owned a 2002 Polo E from new. Water is leaking into the driver and rear passenger footwells. Initial dealer diagnosis was a faulty bulkhead seal which would entail 4 hrs work at £75/hr plus VAT = £352. As a goodwill gesture(?) VW offered to contribute 50% of cost. Curiously, the dealer has now pinned the fault down to the Pollen Filter Housing (without re-examining the car!) which will cost the original amount to rectify. They also maintain that this fault is NOT due to a manufacturing or design defect.

If that's the case it seems bizarre that examination of this area is not included as part of routine servicing.

My patience is wearing thin with VW as this fault is the latest in a long line (broken suspension spring, shock absorbers, ignition coils, loose driver's seat etc) for which they have have refused to accept any responsibility above and beyond repairing under warranty!

Any advice or experiences gratefully received. :zx11:

Huweth
25-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Water leaking in from the pollen filter is possibly the most common problem I've read on any VW forum.
In my opinion, it should have been sorted by recall, though that might mean almost all VW's over the last few years, worldwide.
Try to tell the dealer to do it for free as you've had so many problems, and you are aware that it's so common that it MUST be a design fault. Perhaps even write to VW in Germany and complain...

qedge
29-08-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the response. I've seen sites referring to pollen filter leaks on mainly Passats. My thinking is that if it's not a manufacturing defect as the dealer insists, then it must count as wear and tear. As you say there must be thousands of vehicles with the same fault. If that's the case, why is this area not examined as part of the VW servicing schedule?

I've written to the chairman Mr Bernd Pischetsrieder but to no avail. The letter was intercepted by customer service. I'm in the process of grinding the dealer down with the help of Consumer Direct and ultimately Trading Standards.

Thanks again.