PDA

View Full Version : golf bonnet closing problem

stirls
30-10-2007, 09:02 PM
hi there, i have an 04 mk 5 golf tdi

i opened my bonnet to check the oil today and now it won't close. the catch comes in but it doesn't go all the way down. now the handle to open the bonnet doesn't feel 'right' when i pul it. any advice?

thanks

Ben
30-10-2007, 10:13 PM
possibly lacking lubrication.

If access is still possible, i suggest an application ov wd40 to the cable and or grease or copper grease to the catch mechanism.

Incase the bonnet has become missaligned, before you force anything, check the gaps are equal between the bonnet and bothe wings.

to check the catch, simulate the bonnet catch by using a screwdriver to operate the closing mechanism.

I hope this helps.
Ben

EDIT - and welcome to the forum.;)

stirls
31-10-2007, 08:12 AM
thanks! the wd40 worked like a charm!

thanks a lot

paul

ukmobile786
17-12-2007, 02:31 PM
I have a same problem now, i got a vw golf mk5 the bonnet wont shut tried wd40 still wont shut
can some1 give me advice

Crasher
17-12-2007, 02:40 PM
This is getting common; the Octavia 2 suffers from this as well. The bonnet safety catch sizes up and won't allow the bonnet to latch. How long before an owner gets a windscreen full of bonnet?

BuyanythingbutaVW
17-12-2007, 10:23 PM
The bonnet catch of my 55 plate Golf was changed about 6 months ago as after I opened the bonnet I couldn't get it to close. The RAC came out and took a section of the front grille apart and gained access to the bonnet catch. The RAC man and myself where amazed at how corroded the whole catch lock was. It was packed with loads of grease by the RAC and it eventaully closed again.

RAC told me to get it changed when the car next went to VW and it was changed about three months ago under warranty. If your car is still under warranty then it should be changed for free.

Yet again another piece of amazing build quality.

Crasher
17-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Yet again another piece of amazing build quality.

VAG are close to not being able to afford to build cars in Europe due to labour costs so something has to give and that is parts quality. Even then, the Golf 5 is a seriously over complicated car to build, it take twice as long to build as an Astra or Focus-someone really screwed up!