PDA

View Full Version : scratch on windscreen

golfmark5
30-10-2007, 08:10 PM
hello all

last night i noticed a small scratch on my windscreen its not deep just a surface scratch caused by a peice of grit on the wiper blades any one got any ideas on what i can use to polish it out.

thanks in advanse.

Borab0y
30-10-2007, 10:05 PM
When I had a chip fixed I asked the 'winscreen expert' about polishing out scratches and was told you cant do it as the VW screens are so hard now.

Be interesting to hear what others have done.

Big_E
30-10-2007, 10:08 PM
In order to remove the scratch your self.

You'll need the jewlers trade product " *Jewlers Rouge" also you'll need 2 ounces of ammonia, water, and electric buffer with lambs wool buffer on it.

You'd put the Jewlers Rouge onto the lambswool pad and buff it into the scratch, around 1400 RPM. Keep aplying this until the scratch has gone.

Then mix the 2 oz of ammonia with around 1 pint of water. And poud this over the windscreen.

If all that sounds to much, there are hundreds of companys who'll do it for you, for a fee obvisouly. Just check Yell.com.

Hope this helps.

* Can be found on Ebay.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/jewellers-rouge_W0QQfcclZ1QQfclZ4QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ32

Big_E
30-10-2007, 10:10 PM
It may also be worth getting in touch with your glass company, normally Autoglass, or RAC autowindscreens. They may be able to repair if for you, failing that you may be entitled to a replacement via your Full Comp insurance policy, subject to an excess of around £50-£75 approx.

golfmark5
31-10-2007, 10:08 PM
thanks guys think i am just going to change the screen on the insurence quick and easy.

Big_E
31-10-2007, 10:16 PM
thanks guys think i am just going to change the screen on the insurence quick and easy.

Yeah, that sounds an easier plan, You get two options when using insurance.

You can call them they'll refer you to major company, RAC AutoScreens or Autoglass, normally.

Either can do the job, but they will use non approved, non stamped glass. Even though it may fit, it won't be VW glass. So the choice is yours, you can request for it to be done at VW, but they will make you pay the bill, and send in the invoice minus the policy XS.

Warning, following that way, if there a difference in price from dealer and the company they recomment ( normally is ) they will not compensate for that.

Ben
31-10-2007, 10:43 PM
advice for you.

the black trim down either side of the windscreen has to be removed inorder to do the job. (as do the wipers and the trim under the wipers).

look at where the black trim down each side of the windscreen comes in contact with the glass, it may be sitting on top of the glass (i believe this to be correct) or it may be tucked down the side of the glass (incorrect).

to get the trim off it peels forward from the top of the screen and just prangs off and clips back on with some good hits of the fist.

Make sure to check the trims position and allignment with all its surroundings before you take it off and after it is replaced.

My golf is on its 3rd windscreen - i really need some new trim.

additional info. to get the wipers off, lift the bonnet and you will be able to access the rubber caps that cover the nuts that hold the wiper arms on their pivots. Using a sharp blade or small terminal screwdriver prise them off and you will see the nuts.

undo and remove both 13mm nuts.

to prise the wipers off their pivots, push down hard (alot of weight) on the pivot of the wiper arm that is about 6 inches up from the 13mm nut. This should boing the wipers off ther spindals.

When replacing the wipers, you will see that they can be put on at many degrees due to the spindals, mine were put on too high so they never sat down properly and i could see them whilst driving. I adjusted accordingly.

you will see its obvious.