PDA

View Full Version : bad brakes!

Eugheugh
08-01-2018, 02:34 PM
Car is Passat 3B6 estate. After having investigated a suspect right hand rear self adjuster on the caliper I inadvertently popped the piston out of the bore. Now the pedal goes a long way before the brakes bite and air is hooked up somewhere. Without a second pair of hands and in any case friends are apparently 'too busy' to help, so can anyone advise some kind of 'one handed' way of bleeding the brakes - I have an Ezibleed but a bit reluctant to use it for fear of 'reversing' the ABS seals and making the problem worse. By the way I have my own VCDS.

Eugheugh
10-01-2018, 09:36 PM
Okay, despite all the tales of woe mentioned about bleeding these brakes, and indeed the lack of interest here today! it was a cinch - borrowed a pro pressure suction unit and saw a 70% improvement in feel at the pedal within about a minute of minute of suction. Stopped there as it was starting to chuck it down. Note to self - get the next MOT done in the summer so that way if they fail it on anything you're not resting in a pool of freezing water under the car!.

caldirun
17-01-2018, 08:06 AM
Okay, despite all the tales of woe mentioned about bleeding these brakes, and indeed the lack of interest here today! it was a cinch - borrowed a pro pressure suction unit and saw a 70% improvement in feel at the pedal within about a minute of minute of suction. Stopped there as it was starting to chuck it down. Note to self - get the next MOT done in the summer so that way if they fail it on anything you're not resting in a pool of freezing water under the car!.
A great tip, I always pay for an MOT in July/August after suffering the same fate with a Civic, its not fun outside, under a car at -5°C.

MiniMental
21-01-2018, 12:13 PM
A great tip, I always pay for an MOT in July/August after suffering the same fate with a Civic, its not fun outside, under a car at -5°C.

Story of my life [emoji19] two cars one with MOT in December
One with MOT in October. Great fun hahah

54 Passat Wagon PD175
99’ Audi S4 Avant 2.7 QTO ;)