PDA

View Full Version : Torson Diff or Crown? Also huge Shuddering

r2sma
07-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Hi, picked up a 2014 Q5 V6 3.0 Quattro S-Line plus Tiptronic from a dealership at the weekend. (49k miles.) Test drive was excellent, however when i got it home and making a three point turn, the wheels (Feels like Rear wheel) makes the car shudder as if its juddering against a high kerb and as if the wheels are about to fall off. It does it on both right & left turns. As its the weekend, im trying to get some info prior to returning to the garage on Monday morning to what it may be.
Second question, which i dont know how relevant. A Torson Diff or Crown, i assume do the same things although i suspect i have a crown on this model, however, both i suspect would create a similar problem which im experiencing if either is faulty? Other forum users have spoken about the C.V.Joint as well. Without getting too bogged down with tech, would a Haldex maybe create this problem too? I hear if its not been serviced with an oil top up, its maybe dried out and creates juddering while slow cornering.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

r2sma
10-01-2018, 07:36 PM
I heard from garage today about the shuddering. Apparently when they removed the wheels to refurbish them, they never went back on the same order they came off. This, (According to Audi's report) is a common problem with the Quattro system.
They have agreed to put a new set of rubber on the front axle which they say should sort it once and for all.
Anyone else had the same?

r2sma
17-01-2018, 02:08 PM
I heard from garage today about the shuddering. Apparently when they removed the wheels to refurbish them, they never went back on the same order they came off. This, (According to Audi's report) is a common problem with the Quattro system.
They have agreed to put a new set of rubber on the front axle which they say should sort it once and for all.
Anyone else had the same?

Had two new tyres fitted. The juddering has completely disappeared. The two tyres which were replaced were both Michelins with 3.0mm tread exactly on each. Therefore, does that mean whenever i get down to 3.0mm, im going to get the same problem?

Alan02
22-02-2018, 08:17 PM
Its usually more to do with un-equal tread depths on same, and or, front and rear axles. If your car now has similar tread depths they should be fine. May need swapping front to rear as they wear.