PDA

View Full Version : Flat Battery on VW Passat 4-Motion

raelill
23-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Hi
I hope someone can help. My father-in-law has a 3 1/2 year old VW Passat 4-motion 2.8l v6. Every time he doesn't use the car for more than 4 days the battery goes totally flat - not even enough charge to flash the alarm light. Its been into 2 garages who have both practically taken the car to pieces and both say there's nothing wrong with the car.

Has anyone else heard of this and if so, any solutions? He's got a trip booked for 3 weeks in the New Year and is very worried about leaving it in a long-stay car park if the battery's going to be dead flat on his return.

Thanks
Rachel

stuart
25-10-2004, 12:23 PM
Hi

First of all thank you for joining the site;)

I have been speaking to a couple of VW specilaist I deal with, and both seem confused wiith your problem.

I have two suggestions, the first, is the lock mechanism for the boot, this controls the boot light, if this is staying on this will flatten the battery? may be worth checking, or try removing the bulb.

The other, when fully charged, find someone with a volt metre and put this too the battery terminals, take the initial voltage, then try reading it in about an hour, and see if there has been any drain/drop in voltage.

Sorry I cannot be of anymore help, but hope this gives you a pointer.

Thanks

Stuart