PDA

View Full Version : Trip Computer Accuracy

penrecon
30-10-2007, 02:19 PM
I have a 2004 Golf 2.0 GT TDI and am amazed at the inaccuracy of the Trip Computer - on average fuel consuption is is giving me figures that are about 13.5% optimistic!

Can anyone tell me if this is typical?

Mark

bora(ing) nick
30-10-2007, 02:23 PM
I have a 2004 Golf 2.0 GT TDI and am amazed at the inaccuracy of the Trip Computer - on average fuel consuption is is giving me figures that are about 13.5% optimistic!

Mark

Yep.... Best way to judge miles per gallon, is to fill it up, cover some miles and then see how much it takes to fill it up again.

Convert the litres into gallons, and divide the milage by that, and thats your true figure.

Nick

RichieG
30-10-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm hoping mine is pessimistic! I picked up the same car on Sat, and the trip tells me I'm getting 43mpg (over mostly motorway miles at around 90mph). Obviously wasn't expecting to get the quoted extra-urban 60mpg at that speed, but though it might give me 50! My gf's old Focus TDCi used to give 54mpg cruisng at 90!

penrecon
30-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Yep.... Best way to judge miles per gallon, is to fill it up, cover some miles and then see how much it takes to fill it up again.

Convert the litres into gallons, and divide the milage by that, and thats your true figure.

Nick

That's exactly how I established that it's 13.6% optimistic!

I just wondered if this is typical as on my previous car (a Citroen) the trip computer was fairly accurate on fuel consumption.

M

macc70
30-10-2007, 04:34 PM

Mark

I Dont believe the trip computer
I have the same car (2007) and I have seen 64.4mpg on the display
I will fill it right up next time and do the sums as bora(ing)nick has shown above

spongebob
30-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Dont know if this helps but my trip computer is quite accurate on my 07 golf as I have worked it out a few times since buying the car to make sure it wasnt lying to me as sometimes it tells me it is only averaging 13mpg and unfortunatley it tells the truth to within 1/2mpg. But at least I know I've had good fun when it says such a low figure.

Ben
30-10-2007, 10:09 PM
If i drive like a super granny, i can get the high 60's in mpg, if i use 3rd and 4th through the back lanes i won't get more than 30.

my record for a 32 mile motorway super granny drive is 72mpg. coasting downhill and high gears as often as poss.

usually i'm around the 43mpg mark.

besides, i bought the car for the car not the mpg else i'd of bought a 1.9.

adstalker
13-12-2007, 12:21 AM
I have an 07 2.0 TDI GT Sport which I have had for 6 months. Checked the trip computer on a few occasions against calculated, based on zero trip on fill up and noting amount of fuel and milage when I re-fill it. Trip is normaly within 1mpg under the calculated figure. I hope this helps.