PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake failure issue

deason
26-12-2017, 07:59 PM
Hi,

Incident on Xmas eve happened that i'm still scratching my head on.

Parked car on a spot i've parked on before, got something out of the boot, locked up and left the car.

Came back to the car to find it rolled back and into a residents fence with the bumper needing to now be replaced.

I'm very concerned about this, has anyone had this issue before? I've been searching and found a rather large amount of reports of this happening.

Where do I stand in terms of liability here? Could the EPB had failed?

Crasher
26-12-2017, 09:01 PM
What did the button say the status of the system was? Get the system code read, if there is nothing on there, no photographic evidence and the system now working, you will get nowhere.

deason
26-12-2017, 09:08 PM
What did the button say the status of the system was? Get the system code read, if there is nothing on there, no photographic evidence and the system now working, you will get nowhere.

Car still when left, car at bottom of hill when i get back.

I'm going to be ringing VW by the end of this week.!

Crasher
26-12-2017, 09:47 PM
What did the parking brake button show when you found it? Does the system work normally now. If it does, I suggest you get the system code read before you let VW see it.

Frank Bullitt
26-12-2017, 10:12 PM
It’s always worth leaving the car in-gear to be honest (if it’s a manual) and if parked against the kerb with some lock on. An Insignia up the road had a parking brake fail a few years ago, it went about 100 metres stopping agains the lamppost over the road (and putting it at a 45 degree angle!), there was a known issue on these and from then on he parked facing up the hill with the front wheels turned to the right

hudson0804
09-01-2018, 03:51 PM
I have a 2015 Passat here in Sweden and yesterday it was in the garage for a recall on the auto handbrake.

Maybe worth getting it checked out.

BenR
10-01-2018, 10:38 AM
Have you Googled to see if it's a common fault? If it is, I'd be heading for my dealer and asking for the recall work to be done and a new bumper fitted.