PDA

View Full Version : Window Dropped?

Cam
24-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Anyone else suffered the seemingly not unusual window failure?

Seems the small plastic clips which hold the bottom edge and contain the wire for the mechanism are prone to snapping.

Checked a few threads where it' been during warranty and post warranty.

Mine is an 2000 Bora.

Cheers

Vagnum
19-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Hi there this is very common on all Mk4 based vehicles, so much so that VW altered the part to prevent it happening anymore. Which door window has dropped ? I may be able to help you out.

Cam
20-09-2006, 07:36 AM
Front passenger side dropped but I think I need to get a new mechanism.
The winder motor chewed up the cable, which now has a few kinks and flat spots on it.

I've taken out the bottom cable as a result, disconnected the loom and wedged the window closed.

Thanks for info.

Sound
30-09-2006, 02:56 PM
I have exactly the same problem. Happened at 4:00am on the way to the airport! Handy!

I've wedged it in place for a quick fix. I can't work out how to take off the inner door trim (metal panel) in order to change/repair the clips. I've removed all the screws and winding motor, but it seems to be riveted in place. Is it possible to remove this panel?

It's a V reg Bora (2000).

:1zhelp:

Anyone else suffered the seemingly not unusual window failure?

Seems the small plastic clips which hold the bottom edge and contain the wire for the mechanism are prone to snapping.

Checked a few threads where it' been during warranty and post warranty.

Mine is an 2000 Bora.

Cheers

Sound
30-09-2006, 06:08 PM
I got a Haynes manual and with the correct twisting and pulling the panel comes out. I just need to get some plastic lifters now.

nellio
14-10-2006, 01:35 PM
I had exactly the same problem when my offside drivers window dropped. I had a nightmare of a time and wondered if autoglass could help me. The kind and helpful man told me if the glass was broken it could be repaired without affecting my no claims bonus. He suggested whichever way it was broken they would fix it. I removed inner panel and came upon the dreaded riveted panel. on that panel there were some rubber plugs which i removed. i then 'accidently' broke the glass with a screwdriver. within 2 hours i had a new side window hassle free. i did have to pay a £40 excess but it was worth every penny. Hope this helps.

Sound
16-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Thanks. I managed to get a good price on the parts from "busybeebat" on ebay and the instructions are here, should anyone else need them. Fantastically detailed info.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1015107 (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1015107)
(http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1015107)

preggy
20-10-2006, 08:48 PM
There is an upgrade you can get from vw for this problem, it happend to my golf gti and has since happend to my Bora, i think the clips are made from metal now instead of plastic a great place to get any vw audi and seat parts is a place my mate owns called motors in motion hes on ebay aswell motorsinmotion-01909531537

chrisp
14-11-2006, 07:58 AM
This happened to me the other day - a friend who is a mechanic spent around 3 hours repairing it (had to mend the clip with cable ties as it was late and raining!) Do the new type metal clips interchange with the plastic ones?

necromax
21-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Hello folks, just thought I'd share a useful snippet of information. I had this happen, just as I was driving home from work, and luckliy caught the VW parts poeple in time to get a kit and carry out the repair. I then found out that if you meet the following criteria, VW will repair it for you for FREE.
If your car is less than six years old, and is under 93000 miles, its covered. Call VW and arrange for them to fix it, BUT they will only replace broken units, not working plastic ones. If you dealer says this is incorrect, suggest he speak to VW UK before you do, cause he is wrong.

chrisp
22-11-2006, 01:31 AM
:mad: Bugger, mine's just over 6 yrs old... :aargh4:

coxy
22-11-2006, 01:56 PM
My driver window dropped as a result of broken part. VW repaired this and the passenger side free of charge. My golf is just under four year old.
They also suggested a cam belt change because the car is four year old (or clocked 60k) at a cost of £230 - my car (1.8t) as done just 34k.

Mittenp
28-08-2007, 10:20 AM
:1zhelp:
Hello folks, just thought I'd share a useful snippet of information. I had this happen, just as I was driving home from work, and luckliy caught the VW parts poeple in time to get a kit and carry out the repair. I then found out that if you meet the following criteria, VW will repair it for you for FREE.
If your car is less than six years old, and is under 93000 miles, its covered. Call VW and arrange for them to fix it, BUT they will only replace broken units, not working plastic ones. If you dealer says this is incorrect, suggest he speak to VW UK before you do, cause he is wrong.

Hello necromax, the passenger window on my bora dropped a the weekend, it fit the criteria so I've called two VW dealers and the head office and their a bit cagey about this free repair. They haven't said no as yet but have taken my details. I wonder if you have any more facts to back me up. cheers mate

debbiegib
13-02-2008, 08:29 AM

Are you sure about this, I have had this problem happen, my golf is under six years old and under 93,000, I have just sent an email and I am going to call VW today.

necromax
13-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi Debbie
At the time I posted it it was correct, VW Crewe told me this and I got the kit for free. VW may have changed the policy, but I don't see why they would of. Its a fairly striaght forward repair to carry out if you're at all practical

debbiegib
14-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Just to let anyone else know. I rang VW about this problem and it is up to the dealership where you bought your car from as to whether it is done free of charge. I rang my dealer ship, I bought my car in 2002. They would have done it, but I only had it serviced with them for 3 years and after that I have had my service done at garage local to me. Unfortunately they will only do it if you have had your car serviced by VW, even though your service history is fully up to date!