PDA

View Full Version : Trying to source parts

hudson0804
19-12-2017, 09:25 AM
Hi Folks,

Firstly, I am based in Sweden but I dont mind ordering from the UK as I can have friends forward to Sweden.

I'm trying to get my hands on part number 5G0805413C - this is the daft little plastic cover under the wing to give access to the front headlight bulbs - made form the cheapest plastic possible as both my drivers and passengers have split on the first bulb change, this could be weather related as it was minus 9 when i was doing the work.

I digress, I can find them on eBay from Lithuania - which are obviously fake but seem to be my only option at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

FrenchAudi
19-12-2017, 12:50 PM
I can't help with the parts except to suggest that your friends in the UK might find them in a breaker's yard.

About the broken plastic parts, it seems that VAG and other manufacturers are unaware that most plastics become very hard and brittle at low temperatures when they design items which have pissy little clips and barbs to hold them in place.

A friend in a local garage suggested warming plastic items gently with a heat gun before removing or replacing them - or wait for warmer weather.

hudson0804
19-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the reply, I suspect you are correct, typically bulbs never stop working in the height of summer. :p

FrenchAudi
19-12-2017, 01:19 PM
I just finished replacing my rear dampers. It took far longer than I ever imagined, due to the large amount of stuff which had to be removed to gain access to their upper mounting bolts.

Among the parts to be removed were the trim panels around the load area. Some of the nasty little spring clips broke away from their mountings, so I had to spend more time glueing them back in place.

At least I was able to fit a tow-bar at the same time, which I had put off doing because the trim panels covered the access to the mounting bolts.

If I ever need to replace the dampers again I'll cut access holes in the trim and refix them with Velcro;)

I think body designers place all the components in a heap, design a body to cover it, then leave someone else to fit them all into the finished car.
For the inevitable bits that are added later to make extra USP's, they make a template of the part and crawl around inside the car looking for somewhere it will fit.