PDA

View Full Version : CVT TCM battle

wacky7791
16-12-2017, 06:28 AM
Hi all been a few years since I was active in here, sold the audis and moved around the world to Australia, basically started again, ran a few Aussie bangers but now got back to good old audis, well, the missus has.
Alwqys been a manual man myself but after moving to a country where autos are the norm (and the driving standard is abysmal) the other half is now an auto lover which means we now have 2003 A4 auto, containing the work of the devil CVT gearbox. I've never really thought dragging chains (or belts) round variable cones has ever sounded like a plausible way to get power from an engine to the wheels and it seems even Audi gave up on it in the end. However it isn't the mechanics that are the issue with these boxes, more the module that controls them which sits inside the box soaked in oil........

anyway, having removed the module in the hope of fixing it myself I'd like to know if anyone here knows how to get the damned thing open? A little worried about damaging the internal components .....

cheers-Steve

a4cvt
16-12-2017, 05:42 PM
There is a good guide on utube. I personally took my cvt to the local "gearbox expert" who rebuilt the box beautifully. All the juddering has gone away and it pulls like a train. However when I select reverse from neutral or drive, the box tries to join me in the passenger seat. Apart from that really happy with the box. Mind you £2600 in costs.