PDA

View Full Version : New 2017 A5 Sportback S Line Suspension Options

IDK
29-11-2017, 11:07 AM
I'm just in the process of ordering a new A5 Sportback 2.0 TFSI S Line S Tronic, FWD and am looking at options but am confused about the suspension options. All of the on-line reviews I've read say the S Line suspension is too firm for UK roads and that a better option is to deselect the sport suspension and go for the no cost Comfort Dynamic Suspension (which I assume is the standard setup on the SE and Sport models). I did look at the third option of Adaptive Comfort Suspension but this is £600 and would push me over the £40,000 VED threshold which I don't want to do. My dealership says he's not aware of any S lines they have sold with anything other than the standard sport setup and looking on line I can't find any vehicles for sale that have anything other than standard. Anyone got any experience or advice to offer in this area? I've found lots of debate on this on A4 forums where they suggest that there is a difference in ride height (20mm), but there is no mention of that in the A5 documentation. I can arrange to drive an S Line and a Sport to compare the differences but don't think a short run around the relatively smooth roads around the dealership will be enough of a test.

Pietros1
03-12-2017, 12:15 PM
I can only speak from experience of the standard setup on the exact same model that you're ordering and I find it firm but in no way too firm.
I've done 12500 miles around the country on all types of roads since getting the car in June and not once have I wished for a 'softer' setup.

My dealer gave me the demo car (same model and spec) for a whole weekend before I ordered but after about half an hour, I knew I'd be ordering first thing Monday morning :D

Just get it ordered, it's a tremendous car and that 2.0 TFSI engine is an absolute joy!

IDK
04-12-2017, 12:37 PM
Thanks, that's really helpful. What wheels do you have? I'm not keen on the look of the standard 18" so have specified the optional 19” x 8.5J ‘multi-spoke’ design alloy wheels which will no doubt only add to the firm ride. I'm going to test drive one this week so will see how that goes.

Pietros1
04-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Yes, I have exactly the same 19” wheels. Enjoy the test drive!

IDK
08-12-2017, 05:33 PM
Test drive done, I'd definitely agree that is is a firm ride, but not crashy or uncomfortable and no worse than anything else I've driven with a sports setup. The other thing that I didn't think was as bad as the reviews make it was the steering feel, couldn't find much wrong with that. The quality of the car certainly shines through!

bruce_miranda
26-02-2018, 09:08 AM
I chickened out and ordered mine with the Comfort Suspension.