PDA

View Full Version : Stinks of rich Exhaust fumes

jordytoe
23-11-2017, 08:32 PM
I have the 2.0 TDI 170 and I have found lots of people saying about it smelling inside and out of the car which does also

Looking in to I don't think anybody has managed to resolve this issue completely.

But I was just wondering what people have done to at least reduce it and what the most effective method was.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rob69
23-11-2017, 09:01 PM
you don't say what engine code it is or common rail / pd engine with or without DPF fitted, but a blocked dpf can give stinky exhaust, get the soot loading checked if it has dpf.

jordytoe
23-11-2017, 09:04 PM
you don't say what engine code it is or common rail / pd engine with or without DPF fitted, but a blocked dpf can give stinky exhaust, get the soot loading checked if it has dpf.Sorry it's a 2007 PD Engine code BMN. Not sure about the DPF, as I bought and soon after went away for work so don't have access to be able to check much on it. All info I have so far is just from the internet.

Crasher
23-11-2017, 10:04 PM
The DPF has been removed and it has been mapped with the nasty tinterweb shared generic DPF delete map I have come across a number of times now on the BMN engine in all VAG group cars, the stink is so bad that standing behind one makes your eyes run. The only solution is a new DPF and a remap back to standard and most people I have quoted for this just reply, "I will sell the car". If the car is black it is probably the same A3 I have come across a few times now.

jordytoe
23-11-2017, 10:09 PM
The DPF has been removed and it has been mapped with the nasty tinterweb shared generic DPF delete map I have come across a number of times now on the BMN engine in all VAG group cars, the stink is so bad that standing behind one makes your eyes run. The only solution is a new DPF and a remap back to standard and most people I have quoted for this just reply, "I will sell the car". If the car is black it is probably the same A3 I have come across a few times now.It's not Black, I will have to have a closer look when I'm back home in December to see if the DPF has been deleted.

Crasher
23-11-2017, 10:14 PM
Could be difficult to tell if the can has been carefully gutted.

jordytoe
23-11-2017, 10:25 PM
Could be difficult to tell if the can has been carefully gutted.Is it easily accessible on these so I could disconnect the inlet and try and look inside?

jordytoe
23-11-2017, 10:27 PM
Also would a proper remap be able to sort it if the can has been gutted or will it need a new can as well?

Crasher
23-11-2017, 10:36 PM
Even off the car it can be impossible to tell if the CAN is empty, we use an endoscope probe inspection camera through a sensor port. The only way we will put it right is a new genuine DPF (stupid money) and then we flash the ECU back to the current standard using the VAG online ODIS system.

jordytoe
23-11-2017, 10:39 PM
Even off the car it can be impossible to tell if the CAN is empty, we use an endoscope probe inspection camera through a sensor port. The only way we will put it right is a new genuine DPF (stupid money) and then we flash the ECU back to the current standard using the VAG online ODIS system.Yeah I been looking at the cost of new ones they are ridiculous. And even worse if it doesn't solve the problem!!

Crasher
24-11-2017, 10:53 AM
PM me your reg number

Crasher
24-11-2017, 02:51 PM
A new genuine DPF is 1K0 254 703 FX and is £1777.37 inc VAT plus fitting and if the sensor needs replacing that could be another £100.19 depending on what it needs, then you have to fit it, re-flash and then calibrate. Basically not much chance of any change out of £2500...

Gazwould
24-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Motor manufacturers need to take responsibility...

jordytoe
24-11-2017, 03:21 PM
A new genuine DPF is 1K0 254 703 FXand is £1777.37 inc VAT plus fitting and if the sensor needs replacing that could be another £100.19 depending on what it needs, then you have to fit it, re-flash and then calibrate. Basically not much chance of any change out of £2500...Yeah that's not happening [emoji23] only bought the thing for not much more than that!!

Crasher
24-11-2017, 06:27 PM
I have been whinging on about it for years and it seems to be catching on that journo's in mags are now starting to give the message that a once expensive now cheap car does not cost less to fix when it gets old and cheap to buy, in fact it cost more to repair and maintain , much more, than when it was new so you have to look at it this way, it is a £2500 job on a £25000 car. The sooner people grasp this the better.