PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav problems

ian.roger.smart
02-11-2017, 09:14 PM
My sat nav has been fairly unreliable since I got the car, and not a lot of help from dealers. The two most irritating aspects are that it doesn’t zoom properly at junctions and it often takes me off junctions on motorways only to join back as soon as I’m off!

So, having thought about it I figured it could be caused by the system getting inaccurate gps information. With this in mind I took the coordinates off the system at a few locations near wher I live and compared them with the coordinates on my phone. I found that the Passat is always between 40 and 20 metres out, if I put the coordinates into Google maps then my phone appears in the correct location.

So, has anyone else tried or would like to try this test? As I’m keen to know how accurate other Passats are. Also, would be interested to know where anyone thinks the fault lies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frank Bullitt
03-05-2018, 09:31 AM
I too have noticed the GPS can be out a little but my old TomTom could too occasionally - however, like you I find the lack of any meaningful ‘Zoom’ drives me nuts, I can only assume that this is a downside of the basic navigation as my cousins A6 has the technology pack which has the same day Nav as the Passat ‘Pro’ and that is superb. Instead we rely on the turn indication between the dials which is fine for motorways (although so are the huge gantries!) but on complex roundabouts in towns you don’t know it’s a complete waste of time.

My £180 Tom Tom is way, way better.

jimgironde
09-05-2018, 07:51 AM
I too have noticed the GPS can be out a little but my old TomTom could too occasionally - however, like you I find the lack of any meaningful ‘Zoom’ drives me nuts, I can only assume that this is a downside of the basic navigation as my cousins A6 has the technology pack which has the same day Nav as the Passat ‘Pro’ and that is superb. Instead we rely on the turn indication between the dials which is fine for motorways (although so are the huge gantries!) but on complex roundabouts in towns you don’t know it’s a complete waste of time.

My £180 Tom Tom is way, way better.

There is a zoom, it is the right side rotary knob, twisting left or right zooms in or out.

Frank Bullitt
09-05-2018, 07:55 AM
Bonus - every day is a school day - thanks or that

ian.roger.smart
09-05-2018, 08:45 PM
It should autozoom though if it’s turned on. However it generally autozooms at the wrong moments like halfway tound a traffic island or on the exit!

VW tried to claim that I hadn’t downloaded the maps correctly and gave me the “latest version”, as a gesture of goodwill, which turned out to be older than the download I had made. Still as bad as all the others anyway.

Lack of autozoom is the least of it’s problem though, It truly is a useless Sat Nav.

I’m going to try and get them to unlock the feature where you can mirror your phones screen on the console screen, then at least I can use some decent software without having to have my phone stuck to the window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk